95 LX front door speaker Sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

95 LX front door speaker Sizes

Hey, I've been looking for front speakers for my 2gen protege. I have 2 questions:

1. Does anyone recommend any particular speakers as being excellent (either just quality wise or quality for the money)?

2. What the crap size speakers go in the doors? I looked on bestbuy.com and circuitcity.com and they both say that they are 6.5"ers but an installation guide that I found said they were 5.25" and as I've been looking all over the internet I've found a lot of people saying they are 5.25" and one dude even said they are 5x7's. I'd rather not rip my doors off until I have something to put in to replace the stock speakers.

thx
    95 2gen LX 5-speed
    Sony 52X4 HU
    Alpine 6x9's on the rear deck, Sony Xplod 6.5's in front
    NGK Spark Plug wires and Iridium IX Plugs
    Euro Reverse Glow Guages and Carbon Fiber Bezel
    ( My guages work now!)

Speaker sizes:

You're looking in the wrong place, there's a dedicated audio forum.

Comment

It would be cool if a mod can move this over to the Car Audio forum.

The front door speakers are 6.5" in diameter. That is what I have in my doors right now.

Best bang for the buck? Get those: CDT CL-61a. $150 shipped. Really good.

Comment

Sorry I'm such a Noob - thanks for the link to the car audio stuff jnorion.

Intruder - Where did you put those tweeters and the crossover? I was considering getting a set like that but didn't know what I'd do w/the little guys.
        95 2gen LX 5-speed
        Sony 52X4 HU
        Alpine 6x9's on the rear deck, Sony Xplod 6.5's in front
        NGK Spark Plug wires and Iridium IX Plugs
        Euro Reverse Glow Guages and Carbon Fiber Bezel
        ( My guages work now!)

Comment

Tweeter location is up to your personal taste. I have mine at the top of the door just underneath the window, I know Intruder used to have his mounted to the sail panels, some people put them in kick panels, some in door pods they custom build. Again, time for more links from the audio section.

Door Pods
          Tweeters in the door panel
          Kick panels
          More about kick panels

Comment

Originally posted by bassamp4jc
            Intruder - Where did you put those tweeters and the crossover? I was considering getting a set like that but didn't know what I'd do w/the little guys.
            First I had my tweets next to the sail panels.

Then I had them hanging from the door handle for the longest time. It sounded better that way.

Then I finally broke down and drilled holes in my doors to mount the tweets. I mounted them right where they were as they were hanging from the door release. I don't have any pics of that, but I can take some if you'd like to see.

Here you can see where I put the crossovers.

Comment

sweet, nice info.

i'll be putting my 6.5" alpines & my 4-way kenwood 6x9's in my 2nd gen sometime soon
              93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
              02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
              05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

Sorry but I have tested out so many different speakers and the best FOR THE MONEY are always Pioneer. You can get better sound but you will spend double for a 5% improvement. I have literally done blind tests.

Comment

Eww...pioneer sux. I got a lot of audio experience (mostly from 1998-2002) and have tested many diff brands & setups.

+ i don't give a **** how they sound since i'm not amplifying them and putting them in any kind of enclosure.

But one thing i have learned is high-end pioneer's suck and their cheaper low-end foam-surround speakers aren't too bad IF amplified by the head unit. If you amp them otherwise...poor bass response, but decent mid-highs.

I have a SQ winning system in the MX3, but I don't want to take the time to remove it since I still use that car as well.

The key to SQ is a proper enclosure and amplifying them.

Comment

Pioneers do NOT suck. True, I use them only with the head unit but, like I said, for the money they sound best. I have speaker and stereo experience since my first separately-amped car stereo job I did in 83 on my 1976 Chevy Nova. I have done many others since. They are simplly more efficient. They are only lower in quality on paper. There they seem to not compare as well but it's always where the human ear can't hear and stuff along those lines. Just like how their head units sound good but they used to have a 5% THD(Total Harmonic Distortion) rating. I once bought a SONY high-end unit because it had .5% THD. What a mistake. I was getting that low a THD because I was also not getting as good a sound out of it. The dynamics sucked!

Comment

well maybe back in 83'...their quality was better. but buy a new set with those ****ty foam surround & cardboard cones and tell me they sound great compared to a similarly-priced infinity reference series.

Hell I'll even admit that the new 6000 series infinitys "suck" compared to the 623's I have (previous generation). All these companies keep ****ing up the quality of their speakers and make them sound like ****.

The main thing they do is mess w/the cone/surround materials and shapes to reduce the effectiveness of the bass output. The tweeters always sound better than stock but the bass output is almost always lacking . Good thing I have 3 sets of 623's in good shape to use.

one speaker brand I've found, for hte price, to kick ass is MTX. I helped a buddy install a set in a Civic Si and they impressed the hell out of me running off his stock pioneer head unit (25x4 PEAK, 12x4 rms).

Comment

Carboard surround on Pioneers? I guess you haven't looked at some of the Pioneers lately. Well, lately I haven't either but not as far back as '83. The last time I installed Pioneers after a comparison was about 6 years ago. I'm due for some now because I want to take out the ones that the previous owner put on this 2nd gen. You would never believe this(unrelated story). I just came back from going to the junkyard that's not all that close to me. I went to Walgreens to take out some cash. I didn't have my ATM card with me. I had left it in a pant pocket at home. I could have bought parts with my credit cards but you needed a mutter-freekin' DOLLAR BILL TO GET IN!!!!!!!!! I even asked for a buck to someone on the street in shame. It was not given to me. I was so far form home. What a waste of money and time. That j/y has a better chance of having 2nd gens. Now I have to leave to work.

Comment

6 years ago?!? Wow man...lots have changed since then.

yes the base-models are using **** cones and surrounds and they don't sound particularly good.

Sure better than the factory speakers but not "the best for the money"

ANd its pretty common that a junkyard charges $1 to get in, if its one of those "u-pick-it-u-pull-it" types. Thats how ALL of the junkyards i go to are. And why do you have a credit card anyways? Most of those yards (well actually all that i've encountered) DO NOT ACCEPT CREDIT CARDS EVER! ONLY CASH! If you pull a part, all sales are final at these yards. If they took returns, they'd get all these ghetto retarded cheap bastards returning their old, cracked up dash peice instead of the one they actually pulled/bought.

Thus why tehy ONLY take cash & all sales are final. Get w/da program y0111

I always bring like 40-80 with me b/c i never know what i'm going to encounter.

Comment

Oh no, I'm not new to going to junkyards. I already knew that I had to have a buck to get in. I just didn't realize I didn't have the card with me. I went in to a store and picked up some mints just to get cash back but had no ATM card with me. I don't know about your area but the two or three U-Pull it type places here DO accept credit cards. You might get a laugh that they actually offer a warranty. Yes, for a couple of extra bucks you can get a guarantee that if the part doesn't work you can come back and get another part. If no other one like it is available you can get anything else and even on a later date. The more expensive the part, the more they charge for the warranty.

Comment

lol...i've never heard of that, but it would be worth it for parts like engine/trans's. I bought a mx3 tranny from my yard "as is". Figured it had 60k, must be in good shape eh? Nope....3rd gear synchro was worn to ****

Comment

Working...
                              X