X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

big probs help!

car batter is stuck on 12 volts not moving at all
    battery light is on
    belt squeels sometimes, but only when i first start up the car and usually only when it is raining or damp out
    my heat gauge is high

omgwtfbbqipanichelp!

my alternator belt went which also controls my water pump

this is why the battery wasn't charging and the heat gauge rose up

the belt squeeled cuz it broke

so yea... for future reference if it happens to someone

Comment

As for the battery, will the car start? I say start the car, let it idle a bit and then remove the negative battery cable while the car is running. If the car stalls or sputters, then your alternator is probably toast. If it keeps running, then the alternator is most likely good and the belt issue is probably unrelated.

Just some suggestions...

Edit: Nevermind, you beat me to it. At least it wasn't the water pump!
      1998 Mazda BHALP SE - Rain Forest Green Mica

Pacesetter short shifter ; Depo tails (thanks beetle_orange) ; Custom CAI nearing completion ; CF hood on the way ; Brembo blanks & KVR pads to be inst. (thanks Pigeon) ; Goodridge brake lines to be inst. ;

Much more to come...

Comment

yea, it was funny though, by the time i got home, i had no belt left... LOL it just WENT... it was the weirdest thing, i also replaced the power steering/whatever else it does belt while i had it jacked up

Comment

I know the feeling, just replaced my belts. Alt belt had split in two...right down the middle.

Comment

Strutman, are you saying that you let your belt get so old and frayed that it got to the point of breaking? If that's the case, you're not welcome to this auto club. We are the MASTERS OF MAINTENANCE! Just having gotten the car is no excuse since you should start checking the basics right away. You are hereby BANNED! Just kidding, I can't ban you. If you didn't, after all, let the belt get old, you had better check the components connected by the belt. If any one of them is not spinning freely it may be holding the belt from spinning the other components fast enough and they won't do their function right. Not only that, your new belt will not be lasting very long either.

Comment

not to knock a method that does work...but you should never remove the battery cable while the car is running, you could possibly do more damage than it could help or ruin an alternator that still has alot of life left in it...just a friendly suggesstion

Mods:
              JDM Headlights + Corners
              JDM Tailights
              1st Gen LX Black Wheels
              Shaved Side Mouldings
              Second hand 'High-Flow' Muffler
              Cone Filter
              KYB GR-2's + Perf Lowering Springs
              E-Bay front strut bar
              Gauge cluster swap w/ Tach + Indiglo gauges
              40% Tint on side windows, 20% on rear
              and the best custom 3rd brake light overlay...'ZOOM'

Comment

this happened to me a few times, my prob was i had a oil leak that leaked right onto the belt and so under accel it would just slip off and cause my battery light to come on and the car to over heat.....one of the things i know to well

Comment

Originally posted by Mazda96Protege
                  i had a oil leak that leaked right onto the belt and so under accel it would just slip off and cause my battery light to come on and the car to over heat
                  Ofcourse, as soon as the water pump isn't turning anymore then there's no circulating of cooled-down water from the radiator.

Comment

no, th ebelt as fine, i started my car i nthe parking lot, and there was no belt when i got out. lol wasn't frayed or anything. just disapeared, it was so weird.

Comment

Originally posted by mannydingo
                      Ofcourse, as soon as the water pump isn't turning anymore then there's no circulating of cooled-down water from the radiator.
                      Yeh i know, was just saying that it sucks lol the first time it happened it sucked ass cause i didint know what was going on but after that i knew and just fixed it......but once i fixed the oil leak thats when i stopped having problems with it.

Comment

Originally posted by strutman
                        no, th ebelt as fine, i started my car i nthe parking lot, and there was no belt when i got out. lol wasn't frayed or anything. just disapeared, it was so weird.
                        haha yeh, the very first time it happend i pulled over to look at it to see what was wrong and i saw the belt completely gone and i had this big "wtf?!?" look on my face yeh it was crazy

Comment

Wait a minute, if the belt was gone, how could you know it wasn't frayed? Just kidding, I know what you meant. However, the belt completely breaking off had to mean the belt was already being damaged or was very loose. Oil can make it slip but not slip off w/o other factors involved.

Comment

Originally posted by mannydingo
                            Wait a minute, if the belt was gone, how could you know it wasn't frayed? Just kidding, I know what you meant. However, the belt completely breaking off had to mean the belt was already being damaged or was very loose. Oil can make it slip but not slip off w/o other factors involved.
                            My belts had been squeaking for a long time. I finally changed them. It took a while to figure out what to loosen and the space was tight. 77,000 miles. That was the only maintence I have done except for spark plugs, oil change and auto transmission fluid change.
                            Great little car.

Comment

yea... i found out a bolt was bent on the alternator somehow... that caused the brand new belts to fly off... hahaa it's been fixed a few days after the incident... now my car is running strong again

Comment

Working...
                              X