cold start problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cold start problems

So I just started my car this afternoon, to drive back to Oakville.
    It started easily enough, well, just like usual anyways, but ran ****ty.
    It felt like it was misfiring or something. I let off the key and instead of idling around 11-1200 or so like normal it idled at less than 1000 according to the tach. It was sounding and feeling really ****ty, so I gently pressed on the gas and brought it up to about 2000 rpm or so. After maybe 10-15 seconds, it started to run smoothly. I let off the gas and it idled normally high fr the cold start in this temperature, around 1200 or so. No check engine light yet.
    I took it easy and got onto the highway, while the engine was still warming up. I didn't really hit it until the temp gauge read normal operating temperature. I kept driving and eventually the check engine light came on.
    Had I been closer to home, I would have turned around, grabbed my code scanner, FSM and brought them with me to see what I could pull up but that will have to wait for the time being.

Yesterday, during some normal driving, I would on a couple of occasions come to a stop light, take the car out of gear, and coast, letting the car drop down to idle. all was fine until I put the brakes on at which time, the RPM would drop down to stalling speed, then jump back up then go down again etc. during one occurence, as it happened a couple times throughout the course of the driving day, it even stalled on me, though it did start right back up.
    Its similar to what was happeneing a few years ago when I'd be getting the dreaded P-0170 code that nobody seems to know the cure for. Unfortunately I don't have my scanner on me to check to see if that is the code or not.
    I know that **** would be easier to figure out if I had a code to give you guys, but in the mean time, any suggestions would be great.
    Thanks.
    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Could it be the IAC valve going bad?

Comment

sounds like EGR sticking
      98 protege lx 1.8l
      short ram intake custom
      crane hi-6 ign.
      14 miata alloy wheels
      .50 over pistons and some other tricks .

my protege

Comment

my car does that during braking too! it will shake at really low idle like its going to stall.. weird....
        98 Protege SE
        -------------------
        1.5L Turbo

Comment

mines doing that when you slow down..this happen few years back. Now seems really bad. The bad part you have to wait abit to start so it will run. If not it will just crank and crank...did it to me twice in one trip to autozone..I hated it.

JDM inspired protege with super rare mazdaspeed parts.

Comment

extended cranking times ,sometimes are caused by a check valve in the fuel pump allowing fuel pressure and volume to flow back and you have to build it up again to start .
            98 protege lx 1.8l
            short ram intake custom
            crane hi-6 ign.
            14 miata alloy wheels
            .50 over pistons and some other tricks .

my protege

Comment

Update, it hasn't happened to me since yesterday morning.
              Last night around 8pm when I left work, it started up and idled like normal, and same thing with this morning. Hopefully it stays that way. This weekend I will pull the code and see what I get.
              Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Update again.
                FInally got around to scanning the ****. P-0170. Same as before.
                From the FSM, for those of you who don't know.
                Bank 1 Fuel Trim Malfunction.
                Detection Condition
                Fuel injection closed loop correctionand learning correction are above the specified value because of system malfunction.

Possible causes.

Low Fuel - not likely since its happened with a near full tank.

Pressure regulator malfunction - Don't know. I would think that the problem would be present under all conditions.

Fuel pump malfunction - Don't know. See above.

ECT sensor malfunction - Possible, though I find it highly unlikely I haven't noticed black smoke coming out of the back indicating a rich mixture. THough I suppose it could be the other way around, and causing a lean mixture as well.

MAF malfunction - I find it unlikely because I would think that a code P-0100 would also be present. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Heated O2 sensor malfunction - Unlikely though It did "seem" to be the cause of this a few years agowhen it would happen fairly regularly. REplacing the O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold corrected this. Rumour has it that the life span of Mazda O2 sensors is something like 160,000KM (100,000 miles) And I haven't put that many on it since then. Is the second O2 sensor heated as well? I have noticed a rattling lately that is likely a heat shield about to fall off. I could have something to do with it, perhaps damaged the wire??

Purge Solenoid Valve Malfunction

Leakage in air intake system - Possibility since I had trouble with those broken TB bolts last year, and have basically been running it on MacGyvered **** for like 8-9 months or so. But I'd think this would happen all the time rather than sporadically.

PCM malfunction - I hope to **** its not this.

Open or short circuit in wiring between PCM termials 4U 4V 4W 4X to fuel injectors - I find this to be unlikely as I'm most positive it would also throw a misfire code as well.

IAT malfunction - Mine is integrated witht he MAF and would think that there would probably have been a code P-0110 as well. Correct me if I'm wrong

EGR Boost sensor Malfunction - I'm leaning towards this or the leak in the air intake somewhere IE. between the TB and the intake mainfold. However, would this also cause a P-0400 (EGR flow malfunction) code to be present as well??

PCV valve Malfunction - Its been a whle since I've changed it. Over a year, and its a Canadian tire brand PCV valve. I'll admit I haven't checked it out yet, but the test is simple enough.

So, as I said, I'm leaning towards the EGR direction or the Intake leak.
                Based on what I've written above, if anybody has suggestions worthwhile comments or anything else to add. It would be most appreciated. P-0170 is that same damn code that seems to affect alot of second gens and aside from a few things listed above that are going to malfunction every once in a while, nobody seems to be able to figure out the real cause. By that I mean the one cause that happens once in a blue moon, just enough to annoy people but not commonly enough to be tracked down and fixed properly.

Comment

Both O2 sensors are heated.

Comment

Update again.
                    I checked the PCV valve. Its good, though old. The **** that I've got holding on the TB at the moment, a bolt and a piece of threaded rod w/nut are both at least hand tight.
                    I noticed that the intake tube where it connects to the TB was loose however. I tightened it, and will have to see what happens over the next few days/ week.
                    If the problem recurs the I'll check the EGR valve for proper operation, and clean if necesary. I know that cleaning it is a fairly ghetto solution at best, but If I know thats what the problem is, then I can atleast put it on my spring to do list.

Comment

Update again.

Well, its been several weeks since this **** has happened. Infact it hasn't happened since I sprayed that entire can of TB cleaner into my intake at high RPM and got my CEL flashing Overall, it runs not much different than before this **** started happening. I haven't even bothered checking for a code, its probably not stored anyways since I unhooked the battery, but if I wasn't so goddam lazy in the winter time, I'd check just for the hell of it.
                      Was this a proper solution?? Not likely, more of a quick fix, but until this happens again, I'm not going to worry about it. Everythings fine.

Comment

sounds like my problem i had.

check your fuel pressure.
                        1997 mazda Protege LX -4 12" subs,clarion DVD player,clarion H/U
                        1998 fordF-150 -lowered 6" 20in rims,custom flames,roush side exit exhaust...etc.
                        1993 Ford Probe GT -New project.
                        advertisement car:1993 acura NSX ,widebody kit,lambo orange paint,etc.
                        new advertisement car-1991 nissan 300ZX TT

Comment

Working...
                        X