Car died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car died

So I started my car like normal yesterday, drove to work, did some work before the work xmas party, went to pick up some kfc for the party, came back to work, went to the gym to pump some iron.

(All this time my car starts normally.)

Got out of the gym and went to start my car. Nada. Turn the key again nada. No sound no nothing. Got out the car pop the hood and I hear the faint last few beeps coming out of my alarm system.

My positive terminal had alot of crust around it.

Got the car jumped drove fine. parked in my parking lot, turned off the car, tryed to turn it back on right away and nothing.

Battery seems to not charge. It's only a couple years old. I hope once I clear the terminal of that junk it works normally.

Any other thoughts?
    ED
    '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
    Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
    WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

Clean off all your connections, obviously...even to the starter, and check some grounds...sometimes a ground wire could cause a problem. if i understand right, the starter worked fine when jumped, just not off of your battery? if thats the case i'd say its a good chance that it is the battery. in which case you dont want to be driving around alot with it like that because it will strain the alternator(the alternator only charges as much as the battery needs...so if it see's its close to dead, it will go full strength, and if you have your stock alternator, that's chancing ruining the alternator).
    so after the babble...i'd say a battery is a pretty safe bet, unless im totally off on this one, the question is how did the battery die? check your fuses when you get a new battery for an excessive amount of amperage draw

Mods:
    JDM Headlights + Corners
    JDM Tailights
    1st Gen LX Black Wheels
    Shaved Side Mouldings
    Second hand 'High-Flow' Muffler
    Cone Filter
    KYB GR-2's + Perf Lowering Springs
    E-Bay front strut bar
    Gauge cluster swap w/ Tach + Indiglo gauges
    40% Tint on side windows, 20% on rear
    and the best custom 3rd brake light overlay...'ZOOM'

Comment

My car did that alot as well, one of my battery connections isint THAT tight on there so sometimes its not gettin any juice and i turn it over and get nothing so i have to get out and mess with it untill i get it to work then it works fine. so get new ones or clean them up alittle.....mine is also ghetto rigged and i have to tighten mine with a big ass bolt because the previous owner so im in need of new ones anyways......

Comment

Just buy new battery terminals if your old ones are messed up (they're cheap). After you install them to the new battery you also purchased coat the terminals with a THIN layer of vaseline to retard corrosion a little longer between mantainance.

Also check your alternator belt and make sure it's tight and in good codition. When I had a similar problem with my pro I had to do all that plus tighten the actual alternator in place b/c it had gotten loose.

good luck & keep us posted
        Last edited by Sunset; 12-20-2005, 10:47 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

It's ALIVE!!!!!

My car's back to normal now. Well ... as normal as it was before my car wouldn't start.

So I got a few hot water & baking soda solutions together and clean all the crud off of the battery. It's funny how the dirt bubbled away. First time doing this. Made sure not to have a wet stream from positive to negative terminal. Then used a wet towel to clean of remaining residue.

Def. not professionally done but once I was finished and reconnected the + then - ... BAM my alarm went off and the car could start.

Here are before and after pics:
          Before
          After
          ED
          '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
          Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
          WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

Comment

Nice seeing its running now...My car did almost the same except when ever i go slow like to make a turn or what not it will die on me. I ll try to start it and it will turnover but wont start. Battery seems to have power but my friend checked it before and said its bad. Ill wait a bit kinda like to cool off the engine and it will start like nothing had happen. The cars seems its chocking or something. Now that I have a new battery everything seems fine. I hope it stays that way..lol

JDM inspired protege with super rare mazdaspeed parts.

Comment

Working...
            X