ES at junkyard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ES at junkyard

So thanx to Gro Harlem I managed to get my hands on a 1995 ES in decent condition at a junkyard in MD. I was like a little kid in a candy store. I've posted some pics of the ES at the yard.

The rear seats no longer looks like the pic.

I got the strut assemblies for about $180. Woulda gotten it for $70 less if I coulda taken the struts off myself. I attempted to take some of spindle n struts off my self but the bolts didnt budge at all ( Need to get back in the gym). I need to get an 18 Volt cordless drill. Guy was using a snap on one. Seems pretty handy.

I'm going back Saturday morning to get the ECU n wiring harness if someone didn't rip it to shreds yet. It'll be raining but gotta do what u gotta do.
    Attached Files
    ED
    '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
    Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
    WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

oh my oh my oh my oh my, i was teary eyed.

get the sunroof as well. so i guess the fabric of the ES seats are different, fabric looks nice. are you planning on getting the front spindles as well?

if you are getting the wiring harness and the ECU does that mean you are getting the engine as well?

i wish i was close. didnt know those 18V tools were that powerful. thought only air tools could do a job like those.

do you plan on selling the parts that you took off?

btw, was that car a stick? cuz you know what that would mean right?
    Last edited by beetle_orange; 04-07-2006, 09:26 PM.

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
    Mods:
    DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

The sunroof? Why? I've heard lots of horror stories about shops installing sunroofs. Leaks n stuff. I'd rather not mess with that. Would be nice though.

Yup the fabric of the seats are different. Padding feels the same though but I didn't exactly sit on them like normal.

Can't get the engine. I've got no place to put it. Don't even know if is/was in good running condition.

I was really impressed with the 18 V drill the guy had. I looked at it and was thinking in my head "Is that really going to work?". He got to work and bam bolts came right off.

I'm keeping the rear suspension parts for my car and I might use the ecu at a later time. It'll basically go into storage for a while. That's if I even get a hold of it.

Yeah it was a stick. But unfortunetly I don't have space to keep an engine n transmission. An engine swap won't happen for me for another couple years. By that time the 6 will be paid off & I might have a house (Very wishful thinking).

This is the first protege that I've seen the stock alloy wheels on (or at least the only one I've paid attention to). Miata wheels still look better.
      Last edited by loganss; 04-07-2006, 10:42 PM.
      ED

Comment

WTF LOL

yeah i'm using its condensor...i just charged it yesterday & it works great!

so ur taking the engine out?

The struts are 17 each if you pull them urself..not 70 haha...i got a full ground control w/tokico blue setup off a mx3 once in rays for 70 bux bwahahah
        93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
        02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
        05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

edwin, are you not afraid of the wiring problem you might encounter in doing this swap in the future considering you have a 97?

did you get the front spindles as well?

i am still diggin those seats cuz they are 2 toned and is unique.

Mods:
          DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.

Comment

Spindle $15 each (+$1 core)
            Struts & Spindle $30 each (+$3 core)
            Caliper $10.00 each (+$2 core)
            ^ Already above $120

Damn gro you got a good a** deal on that setup off the mx3. I should ask you to get parts for me.

Nah I'm not taking the engine out.

Yeah beetle you're right. Don't know if I feel like going through that hassle. Might just sell it.

Off to the yard.
            ED

Comment

Edwin,

those are still very good prices as far as J/Y prices here are concerned and the prices i got were from a 1st gen. prices i got were over $100 and that included just the rear spindles, calipers, and rotors.

so you did get the front spindles. pro's gonna be sweet.

bring home lots of goodies
              Last edited by beetle_orange; 04-08-2006, 10:26 AM.

Mods:

Comment

Nah I didn't get the front spindles. Too much of a hassle right now. It was raining and didn't feel like calling the forklift guy over. Didn't even look into what I needed for the front ES discs yet so I'll just wait to get those parts.

The odometer had ~96,000 miles on it.

I might have misinterpreted Gro. I think he was saying that the guy charged $17 each side to remove the struts n stuff off of the mx3. I dunno.

Didn't get much today. Just picked up the MAF sensor and the rear stabilizer bar. One of the links (not sure if that's the name) on the end were no good though. Might go back in a couple weekends to see if the front suspension is still intact. The interior was already mangled far beyond what I did to it on Thursday. Some people move fast at destroying the junkyard cars. Don't think that engine is gonna last much longer.

Also did not get any part of the wiring harness or ecu. I have stuff to do later. Since I'm not going to use it I'm not in a rush to get it.
                Last edited by loganss; 04-08-2006, 12:08 PM.
                ED

Comment

Dont quote me on this but i think for the fronts you only needed the spindles so that you can put the larger rotor. i believe the calipers are the same.

i so envy you since that 95 would have been perfect since i have a 96.

no pictures? wouldnt the ECU be easy to take? i am sure someone would easily take the wiring harnes and ecu off your hands.

if i was only close

Mods:

Comment

96 stay with 96. I wouldn't risk getting stuff from a 95 (ecu, harness).

For a front disc swap you need spindles, discs, and calipers. Calipers are bigger too.

Edwin, get the air box. It's very hard to find, and it is needed for the swap (unless you want to go straight to CAI like I did). Get it... it's worth money. The ECU is also valuable and very easy to get.

Comment

When I do start the engine swap I'll go straight to CAI. I already have discs for the front so I just need the calipers n spindle.

If I get back from philly early enough Sunday might give it another shot. I keep getting restricted by time now that an ES is actually close by .
                      ED

Comment

martin so the 1996 is only isolated to a 96? i though that the 95 would be compatible with a 96 like a 97/98 ES is to a 97/98 LX/DX?

i see why a 95/96 would not be compatible with a 97/98 with the instrument cluster and other stuff being different although same body but i just dont see the difference from a 95 with a 96 when all instrumentations are the same.

it just seems from pigeons ES caliper swap for the fronts the calipers looked the same. http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12321
                        Last edited by beetle_orange; 04-08-2006, 03:41 PM.

Mods:

Comment

On the brakes:
                          http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12321 post #63

Originally posted by pigeon
                          Sadly, I didnt heed the advice that I tell everyone myself... and to be proactive when it comes to brake maintainence. So I ended up till my brakes are completely dead before I actually did anything, I thought I had a set of spindles and calipers lined up for a good price however the spindles ended up having wheel bearing play in them, and I dont have the time to source new ones. So sadly, I am going to have to remain with the rear drums. I am using the ES front calipers, however I dont think there is a performance advantage there.
                          As for the 95/96 harness/ecu differences, read this: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23159

Originally posted by Intruder
                          Mixing stuff between 95 and 96 may be possible in some cases, but I do not recommend it. Some things might work, others will not. I took the zero risk path and my car started right away. No CEL/MIL codes. Runs fine. Others mixed and matched, spliced and cut, and have either scrapped their car or have paid lots of cash to get it fixed by a pro. Be advised.

Comment

Originally posted by loganss
                            I already have discs for the front so I just need the calipers n spindle.
                            Don't forget the proportioning valve.

Comment

The Aftermath

Damn it's been a long day. Forgot how much trouble drunk girls can be . I'm surprised I even made it to the yard today.

Intruder: What's the proportioning valve? Never heard of it.

So you guys convinced me to get some more stuff today.

Got the ECU, airbox, and front calipers. Was gonna get some of the wiring harness (not all of it was there.) but I was starving so not today.

Now all I need to do the rear & front disc conversion are the front spindles, and I think I'm missing a couple rods in the rear. Looks like I'm gonna get it done by the end of the year if things go smoothly.

Intruder: Did you figure out what the transverse member that only comes w/ the ES is for. I didn't even see one. (Damn. Just realized I was looking in the rear for it when it's in the front. Oh well.)
                              Attached Files
                              ED

Comment

Working...
                              X