Air intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by K Dawg ONE
    www.essentialspeed.com has COLDAIR intakes for both the 1.5 and 1.8 motor and for both auto and stick...these are NOT short, ractive style intakes...they are made from 304 SS with mandrel pipes,tig welding and a genuine KN INVERT cone filter...for pics of it on my 1.8, check out www.sounddomain.com/id/kdawgone
    the pipes are also available in ceramic coating, powder coating and even chrome...
    All I wanna know is how much noise does this add to the already noisy environment in our skinny cars, and how much of an improvement (in performance) can you REALLY feel. Also, what coating is your CAI?

Comment

The performance is nominal and only noticable at higher rpm, better pick up, and also slightly slower acceleration. The sound is nice, and deep. Its not an annoying sound you hear all the time, you only hear it well when you smash the pedal to the metal. That way of driving will kill your mileage too.
      "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Originally posted by turbonium959
        , and also slightly slower acceleration.
        That means it will accelerate slower with CAI ?
        98 protege LX for appearance
        89 626 GT for performance

Comment

Originally posted by russian
          That means it will accelerate slower with CAI ?
          I can't believe this! I was hoping for faster acceleration... Is it really slower and why?

Comment

Its not a lot slower. The gain you get from CAI is in higher RPM, and it takes away only a little bit of the line. Once you are cruising, you are fine, especially if you are going about 15-20mph, and then floor it, you see the pick up there. Like I said, its very marginal, I doubt you would be able to notice.

Comment

I doubt you would be able to notice.
              notice the loss of acceleration or the gain in performance?

Comment

Ok, my intake is NOT pvc piping. This is a nice homemade mod, but, it does allow the air to heat up.
                My intake locates the KN filter down behind the bumper near the factory duct work. Several setups were built and tested until we found one that worked best. As far as noise, I only hear it in the upper RPMs. Its relatively quiet (certainly not as loud as a civic intake).
                I dont notice any 'slower' acceleration, but, the gain that is got by the intake IS in the upper RPMs. This is benfical as you wont launch at 750rpm, you launch up around 4k! I also notcie a slight increase in gas mileage as well, as long as I stay in the 'Energuide' recomendations (100-115kmh). Any faster than that, and the gas milage remains the same.
                Right now (in the pics), my intake is not coated. I decided to wait until my car was in storage so it could be sent out to be ceramic coated with all my other motor parts.
                You will also notice that there is NO 'nub' for the re-circulatory hose from the valve cover. This was MY decision. They are available on the finished product (if requested)...
                For more info, contact Kevin at Essential Speed at info@essentialspeed.com
                Be sure to tell him 'Kris-from-woodstock' sent you and you may even get the intake shipped to your door for free!

BTW, if my car was a coloured car (ie, yellow, blue, etc), I would be getting my intake powder-coated to match. just an fyi!

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
                1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
                Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

Originally posted by K Dawg ONE
                  BTW, if my car was a coloured car (ie, yellow, blue, etc), I would be getting my intake powder-coated to match. just an fyi!
                  You got your intake from Essential Speed, right? Would mine be any different compared to yours?

My engine bay is pretty much stock. Do you still think that a powder coated intake (blue) would look better than the one you have? What do you suggest?

Comment

Here's a pic:

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
                      notice the loss of acceleration or the gain in performance?
                      That would be loss in acceleration. My bad.

Comment

That would be loss in acceleration. My bad.
                        okay, I am very keen on buying this thing from essential speed (when speed is essential ), but I don't want to get something (that expensive) just for looks. let's talk about the performance again.... you guys keep saying that the gain is in the high RPM band. how high exactly? 3-4K? 4-5K? Higher? And what exactly do you observe? Better acceleration at high RPMs?

Kris said something about launching at 4K rpm. Launching? I don't race, and besides that my tranny is an automatic, so "launching" is impossible. What do you have to say about that, Kris?

Comment

I don't have a tachometer on my car, so I can't tell exact rpm, but I could guess from 2 to 2.5 you will notice most pick up at full throttle. Like I said, cruising at 15-20 mph, and then floor it, and the car will go-go-go!

Comment

I don't have a tachometer on my car, so I can't tell exact rpm, but I could guess from 2 to 2.5 you will notice most pick up at full throttle. Like I said, cruising at 15-20 mph, and then floor it, and the car will go-go-go!
                            And that "go-go-go" wasn't there at all before you installed the intake?

Comment

To answer questions:
                              No, i dont think blue on its own will look bad. Im a big fan of the way powdercoating looks! What will also look nice is to have it ceramic coated and then polish it. Itll look very chromey and help keep the air cooler.
                              Yes, it will look like mine. The angles will be a little different as you have an auto/different trany and a 1.5, but, basically the same. You will have the nub for your reciculaotry hose and a beleive a hole for a sensor of some sort (sorry, i dont know the 1.5L very well)
                              As far as the 'go-go-go', yours will be a little different then mine. Like I said, my buddy Tim (its clappy on this board) has it on his 1.5 auto. He loves the sound and the looks. He also said that when he mashes the pedal, it goes....harder? I dont know the word im looking for here. I mean, the world is not gonna whiz by your face now or anything, but, definatly worth the money. I think Tim also said that his gas milage was better too. He also said, you cruise at a normal speed then "give 'er", if you pay attention to before and after the install, you can notice a difference.

For pics of the intake on the 1.5l and for full details of the performance, email Clappy at t_clap@hotmail.com
                              Last edited by K Dawg ONE; 11-27-2003, 06:31 PM.

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
                              1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
                              Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

So, let's say I want to have it powder coated blue. Who would do that for me? The guys at ES? Is it free?

Comment

Working...
                                X