Whats so great about a protege dx?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats so great about a protege dx?

i need to sell the protege i have... as i was telling someone about it.. he asked,,," whats so great about a Protege? and the dx being stripped. why would anyone want a model like that?"

I bought it because all i was looking for was a peppy car good on gas for Atlanta commuting!

What else should i say?

Mark
    2004 Jeep Rubicon. Neverending project.
    2003 Mazda Protege DX. new project.
    President of Georgia Crawlers Four Wheel Drive Club.
    www.georgiacrawlers.com

thats about it...

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
    Mods:
    DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

Yeah, that's abot it. Just the basics, well-engineered, while it has its quirks (squeaky belts, etc) quite reliable and easily maintained.

There are only 3-4 non-hybrid small cars on the market now that match the '95 DX EPA milage.

Actually, it's sad, if you go on the EPA site and look for 'small cars combined mpg >30' there were about 4x more for sale in '95 then there are now, even with the price of gas what it is... I guess we are all just SUV driving pigs in the US.

Comment

yeah, thats what i dont understand. we complain about how crazy gas prices are but just look at what people are driving still.....

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
        Mods:
        DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
        http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

um... its a lot like the honda civic.

Only it was made in japan while the 4 door civic was assembled in canada.

as far as gas mileage, I noticed that as well.

my other car is a geo metro, it was made in 94 when gas was around 1.25 a gallon. I mean forget about inflation, that was cheap cheap cheap.

its epa is 44 49 like 10 better than my protege. and the reality is even more than that, more than 10 mpg difference.
          Yet theres nothing on the market like it . And the mazda 3, its epa is like 28 / 33 or something.
          And now over 90% of the cars sold in america are auto even.
          I mean this follows my other rant. a few years from now when gas is like 8$ a gallon there are going to be nothing but 2 liter auto cars on the used market. Most of the cars that people bought this year got bad gas mileage and were automatic.
          I mean there arent going to be enough honda fits to go around in 5 years on the used car market, and the honda fit gets the same gas mileage exactly as my 95 protege.

gas mileage is a function of 2 things. displacement, and weight. nothing else makes a huge difference. Even the magic EFI makes about 1 mpg difference, and 95 on its already old news.

So howcome, gas is going higher, but the cars displacement is rising and everyone wants an automatic? Whats going on here? The base corrola is a 1.8 now
          Last edited by stamar; 08-20-2006, 01:30 AM.
          http://www.cardomain.com/id/stamar
          :microwave

Comment

people are stupid.
            and theres only so many things you can do to a car each year to make it a "new" car. displacement is one of them. and carollas are stupid heavy now.
            Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
            kitty, you are a hilarious woman
            Originally posted by HopelessCow
            there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
            Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

One reason cars are heavier now is to provide crash protection against SUVs.

More large SUVs on the road => more energy absorption and active safety systems - side curtain airbags, seatbelts that auto-tighten during an impact, etc.

It's a terrible cycle - one of the reasons they can have TINY cars in the UK and not have lots of safety issues is because they don't have 50% of their new sales being of SUVs...

Comment

they are making small cars like suvs. look at how tall some of the so called small cars are. toyota corolla, yaris,echo. dodge calibur. my lowered 91 pro looks tiny beside some of these cars now. plus some of these new cars are ugly as s%$t
                91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

Originally posted by progt91
                  they are making small cars like suvs. look at how tall some of the so called small cars are. toyota corolla, yaris,echo. dodge calibur. my lowered 91 pro looks tiny beside some of these cars now. plus some of these new cars are ugly as s%$t
                  I agree. Look at the Mazda3 - it looks very 'high' compared to even a stock '95

Comment

What's so great about a DX? It's a real trooper, for one thing, something the three have in common. Also, less power stuff means less gizmos to go wrong, lower value means lower insurance cost. I dunno what else to say, it's what it is: a budget car.

Comment

I always said that the car did nothing else besides get me where I was going. Doesn't turn heads, not many gadgets, but it was insane on gas, and every time I turned the key, it started.

Comment

and go to a car show and see how many are there modified....it makes me wanna mod it even more...

look at it this way "atleast its not a honda...."
                        MY CARDOMAIN LINK

STOLEN 09/28/2007

Comment

I have a 96 DX thats gold and i ****in love it. Gas millage is GREAT..i get 30/city and 40/highway. Yea the green seats are ugly but whatever. I just put a new sound system and window tint, the 13 factory option wheels, mudflaps, a few exteroir mods and kept it clean and im only 17 and i dont care thats it not fast, but get better MPG then all my friends. I get complemts in it alot. DX IS SWEET!

**SOLD**
                          Now in a 02 Focus ZX3

Comment

Not bad looking for a straight up econobox

Comment

Working...
                            X