Sunroof water drain clogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunroof water drain clogs

Another problem here... Today I was washing the car and I noticed wet floor and the right front heading side also wet. I inspected the problem, slide the roof and there was a pond of water at the right drainage hole. I soaked it up and did various tests with more water. What I have noticed is that drainage is successful since water drips right behing the fender but I am kinda sceptic about it so I wanna do an autopsy. I just need to know if I remove A-pillar trim will I be able to see the drainage pipe and where it goes? Coz clogs can be anywhere in the lenght of the hose. As far as I know these sunroofs have only molded plastic hole which is then attached to a rubber (I asume) hose which leads down to the nearest opening in the firewall. Correct? Now please tell me how to get it down. I don't mind stripping it to the bone I just have to know the right procedure so I don't spend another 3 hours figuring something up that is practically very easy to do.

Thanks! I'll also post some pictures tomorrow.
    Garage: Mazda Protege 1995, Z5 engine, MTX, P/S, no A/C, no ABS.

PM me if you need: comprehensive Autodata information; Mazda's 2nd generation workshop manual; Mazda's Z5 overhaul workshop manual.

just blow it out with a can of compressed air

Comment

Well, I don't want to do that, cause it might be clogged somewhere around the joint or in the lowest point possible (at the fender), which is flattened and I doubt I can get anything out through that tiny groove.

PM me if you need: comprehensive Autodata information; Mazda's 2nd generation workshop manual; Mazda's Z5 overhaul workshop manual.

Comment

I have taken it apart and the rubber hose goes down right behing A-pillar trim. I was able to plug in a plastic tube cable, which is used for electricity installation for pulling wires through the right wall channel. I have jerked it a bit, poured 0,5L of water in there but still no leaks found. The hose is in perfect condition, it even doesn want to pull off of the drainage hole. I think it might just be mud stuck down there between the firewall drainage channel. I'll try what mazdanoob suggested with compressed air anyway.

Comment

Here are the pictures:
          Attached Files

Comment

blow em clear all the time ... altho i usually dont give it a chance to settle/harden/ turn to concrete but ive yet to ever have one blow off ... and the compresses air i'm talking about .. is simply a can of dust-off from a pc shop ... nothing hardcore! looks like you'll need to pull the a- pillar trim off ( do it slowly with a flat-head/ standard screwdriver and lightly pry right @ the clips) then leak test to see where it really is flowing from ... wire-fish or even a coat hanger will do to clear it if you are gentle and the air wont clear it ..is the panel damages where the tube ends? (bottom)

edit: oic you did pull the a-trim off ... you might be foreced to blow it clear from the bottom ...
            Last edited by MazdaNoob; 11-04-2007, 09:41 PM. Reason: doh - re-read

Comment

I have already pulled off the A-pillar. It's pretty simple - two clips, one pin, one hook. If you see it before in manual it's darn easy.

This Friday when I get home I'll do everything we have talked about here. I'll pull the trim off again and then get to the serious business. It's not a problem if there's a small leak, but the floor of my car is soaked with water. It really looks okay, but when you press on the floor trim it just goes *splat splat*. And it's November, with temperatures not going over 8 C all the day, so it won't just dry. I'll borrow an industrial heat blower from my friend perhaps and we'll see what happens.

Comment

if it only leaks when there is very heavy rain, the drain most likely is NOT blocked. Intead, the water builds up in the rain gutter and is supposed to go down the drain, but faster than it can drain, and perahaps due to the angle at which you parked the car; the water is getting too high and seeping under the polished metal track on which your sunroof slides.
                Grab some silicone and patch that **** up!

Comment

I hope he can still use your help since that last post of his was 8 months ago. Did you finally find a way to correct the problem or was pfresh's suspicion correct?

Comment

Originally posted by pfresh View Post
                    Grab some silicone and patch that **** up!
                    Band aid fix. Not suggested.
                    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

I have the same stain but never had a leak since I've owned it, previous owner I would assume. and I would agree, if the conditions are right the load of water exceeds what can drain and finds another way to go.
                      95 ES
                      05 S60R

Comment

Working...
                      X