Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not convinced that putting the intake closer to the exhaust manifold is beneficial.
    Fits nice though.

Comment

I'll move it eventually, maybe today. I have a 22* bend I can put on the end to get it closer to the headlight. Maybe a heat shield or heat wrap to help keep it cool. I'm actually surprised how well it fits.

Comment

Looks good man.

Comment

Thanks. I was actually thinking of this earlier. How much good is an expensive cold air intake setup if the tubing is going through a hot engine bay? Without any heat wrap, which I haven't seen in anybody's pics, the tube is going to heat up, therefore warming the air inside the tube. So what's the point if it's sucking warm air anyway? Unless of course you have it wrapped in insulation.

Just my thoughts on a CAI. You can ignore if you'd like.

Comment

more over so the point is to allow more airflow rather then the stock airbox system.

plastic heats up just as much.
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

So at the throttle body lets say, there is no percievable difference between a cold air and short intake because the tubes will heat up just as much no matter the air temp being pulled in. Therefore the air temp at the throttle body is barely different because, either way, that air had to travel throuh a hot engine bay. So a CAI is just a mind trick for some company to make a lot of money. That's how I see it anyway.

Comment

not quite. ambient air temp makes quite a difference. as does velocity of the incoming air.

the benifit of aftermarket intakes is usually to increase airflow, not to drop temps
                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

So a longer intake tube increases the speed of the air coming in. And usually because aftermarket intakes have a slightly decreasing diameter?

So the real argument over which is better should completely ignore the temperature of the air and focus on the velocity of the air going into the manifold, because a higher velocity gives higher air flow. I'm not saying the temp has no affect, but the fact that it passes through a hot engine bay is going to warm up the air from a CAI anyway.

Comment

your taking this way off topic lol

Comment

Haha, ya I noticed. Sorry lol

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323 View Post
                        your taking this way off topic lol
                        a longer tube will allow a more laminar flow...

but anyway none of this will ever make a difference to the z5 anyway
                        95 ES
                        05 S60R

Comment

To get back on topic....

Removed the remainder of the stock intake. More weight reduction lol!

Am I the only one doing anything to the car? lol Or am I just the only posting? Wake up 2nd gens.
                          Attached Files

Comment

mines parked in a garage 50 miles away for the last year
                            95 ES
                            05 S60R

Comment

We work on ours, we're just on other forums too.
                              1997 Protegé ES: The Power of BP

Broke Status FTW!

Comment

Mine has been sitting in front of my house for a week and a half, waiting for an alternator transplant. After that, I'll have some updates as I winterize it and try to sell it.

Comment

Working...
                                X