Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slightly modified my intake. Got a new Spectre filter. Ya ya ya it's not K&N but Anyway, stuck a 22* bend coming off the 60* then MAF/filter. Rotated so the filter is behind the headlight so it's a little farther away from the exhaust. Still going to need/get/build a shield though. And need to lengthen the IAT wires and drill a hole so I can stick it in the 22*. The new filter is around 6" compared to 3" of the old one and of course flows much better with better throttle response than before.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by irishkev90; 02-15-2010, 11:22 PM.

Comment

fairly clean routing*
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Thanks, I've been fine tuning this thing almost everyday since I don't have enough money for any real upgrades....yet. Going to get a Spectre hpR filter and hopefully a heatshield to go with it as soon as Spectre emails me back, then I should be satisfied. Though the hpR filter is almost 9" so I'm going to have to cut the 22* almost in half for the whole thing to fit.

Comment

Okay, looking for NGK Iridium plugs, since that's what everyone seems to suggest is best with these engines, and Autozone has NGK IX Iridiums and NGK Laser Iridiums. The Laser Iridiums are twice the price of the IX's which leads me to believe something might be better. Any suggestions or does it not matter?

Comment

forgot the difference between the two. but i can vouch for iridium plugs
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Well I googled it and I guess the only difference is the shape of the tip(?). The IX's have a finer tip than the Laser's I guess, which would mean a denser charge because of less surface area. Or at least that's what a member of an Eclipse forum said. I guess I'll be going with the IX's. Going to get some NGK plug wires also.

Comment

Just ordered a Spectre hpR racing filter for ~ $45. Should be here in 3-7 days. At almost 9" in length I need to chop up the intake a bit to make it fit. I'll also have the IAT wires to lengthen so the sensor can reach the intake. Post pics when it's finished.

Comment

Just got the filter from UPS and the cleaning and oiling kit from Autozone. Total cost ~$60. Got a snow storm coming the next few days so I won't be able to install til this weekend (hopefully). I know most, if not all, of you guys think the rating thing is a joke, but I'm going to throw it out there anyway. This filter is rated to support up to 650hp and 895CFM of air flow.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by irishkev90 View Post
                    Just got the filter from UPS and the cleaning and oiling kit from Autozone. Total cost ~$60. Got a snow storm coming the next few days so I won't be able to install til this weekend (hopefully). I know most, if not all, of you guys think the rating thing is a joke, but I'm going to throw it out there anyway. This filter is rated to support up to 650hp and 895CFM of air flow.

+4hp
                    NO longer owns a 96 protege!!!

Comment

is that thing even gonna fit with ur short ram setup
                      | Ejaz | '98 Protegé | '02 Protegé5 |

Comment

Oh I will make it fit, lol. All I have to do is chop the 22* just after the bend and it should be fine. That, and lengthen the IAT wires to I can actually stick it in the intake. If chopping the 22* doesn't work well I have left-over parts from when I had it as a CAI. No matter what I will make it work. Anyone know if there's a 3" throttle body I can stick on the 1.5L instead of the 2.5"? Also same question for the MAF, is there a 3" I can use or am I stuck with the 2.5" here too? I only ask because the intake tubing is 3" and I figure a consitant size would be better for performance than going from a 2.5" to a 3" back to 2.5".
                        Last edited by irishkev90; 02-23-2010, 10:23 PM.

Comment

why spectre though? so many other better reputable brands

Comment

At first it was just because of the modular intake parts I could easily get at Autozone because I didn't feel like getting a $100 for another car and chopping it up. And the plastic tubing doesn't conduct heat at all. Aluminum tubing can heat up and transfer that heat to the incoming air. Also, after some research, the Spectre hpR filters are basically the same exact thing as K&N, but cheaper. If anyone has a dyno laying around and wants to test out the minor differences, if any, be my guest. But as far as a butt-dyno goes, you won't see any difference in performance between the two. My feeling is that just because something is more expensive (K&N) doesn't always mean it's better, just mean it's more well-known therefore they can charge more for a product that someone else can make for $20 less. Plus I'm a fan of being different. Yeah, I'd love to have a bunch of Mazdaspeed stuff, but everyone has it. I'd rather go the custom route and make something that no one else has, but still keep it tasteful, not ricey.

Comment

i cud get k&n universal filters for 50~ last i checked...

and mazdaspeed stuff isn't played out;

no1 has them..their still rare.

Comment

This filter was 43.99 from Spectre website. And well, you got me on the mazdaspeed thing, but again, I like custom, one-off pieces that no one else has or will have. Hopefully this summer I'll be able to make my bumper I've had in mind all winter.

Comment

Working...
                                X