Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn't Spectre at least make the correct size of filter?

3" throttle body is way too big for the Z5 btw, even 3" tubing at any point seems excessive and a torque-killer.

Comment

Originally posted by firelizard View Post
      Doesn't Spectre at least make the correct size of filter?

3" throttle body is way too big for the Z5 btw, even 3" tubing at any point seems excessive and a torque-killer.
      Okay well the size stuff is good to know thanks. I would have gone with 2.5" tubing but it only came in 3". And what do you mean but the correct filter size?

Comment

You were saying it was too long, at 9" right?

Also, Vibrant makes polished aluminum tubing in quarter-inch increments starting at 2", for future project reference, that's what I used for my cai project.

Comment

Oh yes. 8.6" length, 6.5" base, 3.7" top, 3" inlet. The only thing about aluminum, in my logic anyway, is the underhood heat. Wouldn't the aluminum tubing get warm, being in a hot engine compartment, and the only way to get rid of the heat is to transfer it to the cooler air of the intake? I may just be skeptical about it, though.

Comment

Your intake manifold is aluminum.....

And pretty much every aftermarket intake on the market is aluminum. Is yours made of steel? Because that would be very unusual.

Comment

Oh I'm sure the manifold is aluminum, but the intake tubing is plastic. I'm thinking everyone uses aluminum beacuse it's cheap, lightweight and easy to work with. Besides, have you touched the manifold after having the engine running? Even though it's aluminum it's still pretty warm. Maybe not as hot as, say, the valvecover, but it's still pretty warm. I don't know, maybe I just don't understand completely.

Comment

Whatever, the effects of heat transfer in cold air intake pipes isn't even worth thinking about, it's so negligible.

Comment

Yeah, that's true I guess. Case solved, lol.

Comment

Just checked out Spectre's website and found 2.5" aluminum mandrel bent tubing. I know I just went off on aluminum, but like you said the effects of heat transfer are probably negligible anyway. Guess what might be coming this summer? lol

Comment

i rather buy a cosmo racing; and prevent the hasssle;

but their a bit overpriced.
                      | Ejaz | '98 Protegé | '02 Protegé5 |

Comment

Finally able to get the hpR filter on. Had to chop the tube to make it fit. Then legthen the IAT wires and drill a hole for it to reach the intake. I'll post some pics when I get a chance, it's raining now and I think we're supposed to get more snow soon.

Comment

Pics of new intake! As soon as I get something to make a solid mount for it I may be done with it. I've changed my mind so much with this thing but its 95% there. This summer I'll probably order the 2.5" tubing and have my dad weld it together.
                          Attached Files

Comment

ditch the mini breather!; and run a hose to the intake.

Comment

Originally posted by 3ni_tricksta View Post
                              ditch the mini breather!; and run a hose to the intake.
                              Why's that?

Comment

cuz every1'z eco friendly!;

pretty much we have a ridiculous amount of laws in canada.
                                and having a setup like that is practically illegal.
                                as it gives off directly into the atmosphere.. instead of recirculating with the intake system.

but on the other hand; a friend of mine found that idling and performance was better when he got rid of his breather.

any1 can back me up on this?..i'm not too sure of the reason.

Comment

Working...
                                X