what type of motor oil do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what type of motor oil do you use?

i am currently on 10w30 but i was hearing there are benefits to using thicker oil like 10w40, 20w50, etc.. in older engines.

any truth to this?

I use an internal combustion otto-cycle motor

Comment

lol i meant motor oil

Comment

yeah, I use the one that came with the car.

oil viscocity will depend on the temperature range in your locale.
        95 ES
        05 S60R

Comment

You'd only want to run a thicker oil if your rings are going out. Wouldnt burn oil as bad. Not solving any problems though.
          Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
          kitty, you are a hilarious woman
          Originally posted by HopelessCow
          there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
          Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

20w-50 In Trinidad at 100 C

Comment

100ºc?????

the ambient temp is boiling?
              Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
              kitty, you are a hilarious woman
              Originally posted by HopelessCow
              there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
              Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

damn its hot down there!
                95 ES
                05 S60R

Comment

I use a GTX motor
                  I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
                  |.....Overnight....................| ||
                  |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
                  |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
                  "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
                  Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

As much as the advertisers out there would like you to think otherwise, there really isn't much difference between motor oil, provided it has the specifications required in your owners manual. Using higher viscosity oil will reduce your fuel efficiency and won't protect your car much better unless you live somewhere like Trinidad. If your car is burning oil and you're having to add frequently, using a higher viscosity can help.

Comment

1.8 lol, use 10-30 shell rotella w/ 1/3 lucas and all noises are gone for a while. everybody that I know swears by it. got it in my car.....does wonders

Comment

I use whatever got put in 8 months ago.

I'm a terrible person and I hate my car.

edit:
                        I think it was 10W30 btw

Comment

It's more important to change your oil frequently than the thickness of it. Just do it at recommened intervals. That's fine. Ofcourse, as stated, a car burning oil/passing the rings, etc, is cause for a thicker oil but high mileage alone doesn't require it. It's only slightly better and more fuel consumption. I'm not saying by that much either.

Comment

I have used Castrol syntec since the first oil change back in 96, I swear by it.

Comment

Okay, whats with the echo in here???

Comment

Working...
                              X