Why no sunroof???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SandyLovesCandy
    Actually, I recall hearing from someplace that cars are either engineered to have a sunroof, or they are engineered to not be messed with. Somewhere, somehow, I heard it through the grapevine, but I heard that it damages the overall structure of your car? (can anyone attest this?).

When you ruin the overall support/structure of the frame, you won't be able to handle as well. The frame will have more of a "flex" to it on the tight turns.

.....just my opinion
    I would tend to agree with you

-----------------------------

I think that cars with sunroofs from the factory must have some sort of extra bracing in the roof. I could be wrong but I would sure as hell hope so
    Bruce
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

company has been around for over 10 years...

.. as to frame damage wouldn't that only happen if you cut into the supports themselves.. i know when mine was installed it was put infront of the structural support.. that was the reason i had to do a sun roon as opposed to a moon roof which i really want.
      In the Garage
      Black 93 MX-3 GS
      Bp powered
      GTR Drive Train

The ProjectMx build thread
      MyCardomain[/SIZE]

"Shut up, at least the bunnies are on fire!"

Comment

So, what is the moonroof and a sunroof means? What's the difference ?
        98 protege LX for appearance
        89 626 GT for performance

Comment

Originally posted by russian
          So, what is the moonroof and a sunroof means? What's the difference ?
          I think moonroofs are the ones that slide inside the roof whereas a sunroof only pops up... I might be wrong though.

Comment

So the ones that do both can be called 24hrroofs ?

Comment

haha, no the ones that can do both are moonroofs

Comment

Ok, now I know. So I've got a moonroof then. What's about those ones that slides over the roof like sunfires ? STill moonroof ?

Comment

Originally posted by russian
                  Ok, now I know. So I've got a moonroof then. What's about those ones that slides over the roof like sunfires ? STill moonroof ?
                  I guess it is a variation of a moonroof unless they have a different name for it. I dunnoe.

Comment

In general, moonroofs are glass, sunroofs are metal.
                    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

That's another opinion
                      So moonroof is :
                      1 glass
                      2 slides in/over roof

sunroof is:
                      1 metall
                      2 just pops up

Any more ideas ?

Comment

omg, this is getting complicated. is there anyone who knows for sure?

Have doubts? Use google!
                        Here's what I found:

Dear Yahoo!:
                        What's the difference between a sunroof and a moonroof?
                        Heather
                        Crawfordsville, Indiana

Dear Heather:
                        Having just gone through the long and drawn-out process of purchasing a new car and asking that very same thing, we here at Ask Yahoo! felt uniquely qualified to answer your question. According to the helpful salesman at our local car lot, the difference is in name alone.
                        Of course, we all know you can't believe everything someone, especially a salesman, tells you, so we looked for confirmation. A search on "sunroof moonroof difference" promised to uncover the truth. Sure enough, the very first search result was a page of frequently asked questions from sunroofs.com, a site "devoted to public awareness and education about automotive sunroofs."

The answer?

"Sunroof" is the generic term used to describe an operable panel in a vehicle roof which can let in light and/or air. "Moonroof" is a term created by Ford in the 70s, yet is now used generically to describe glass panel inbuilt electric sunroofs.

Hmmm, so all moonroofs are sunroofs, yet not all sunroofs are moonroofs? We found further clarification -- "sunroof" is the term originally used to describe a metal panel that would only allow light or air in when opened. A "moonroof," on the other hand, is a glass panel that can allow light in even when it is closed (provided, of course, you slide back that nifty fabric-covered panel to expose the glass).

True sunroofs, those made just of metal, appear to have gone the way of 8-tracks in automobiles, and these days, most "sunroofs" are really "moonroofs" -- panels of tempered glass, usually tinted, that tilt up to allow a flow of air, or slide back into the roof entirely, giving the car occupants a brief but tantalizing glimpse of life in a convertible.

Seems like our friendly salesperson wasn't telling us quite the whole story...
                        Last edited by Intruder; 12-26-2003, 02:46 PM.

Comment

the gen2 ES's had a moonroof option too, and the 1.8 . . . and the 4 wheel disc w/ abs muahahhahaha

Comment

Working...
                          X