A/C Problem with my 97 Protege

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C Problem with my 97 Protege

Hey guys whats up i've got a 97 Protege 1.5 5-speed with about 130k on it. I have been having a problem with my A/C

When i turn on the A/C to 4 it blows cool air at a slow speed and doesnt get any colder, also the motor feels like it lost 80% of it's hp and the damn thing didn't have much to begin with lol. once i get on the freeway for an extended period of time it will get marginally cooler but will not blow any harder. The other problem is that the car will not idle with the A/C on 85% of the time and forget driving in traffic.

there's the problem, here's what i have tried to fix it and found

Attempted Fix: Recharge the A/C
    Result: A/C will not take or hold a charge, i put two entire can's of freon in and the line pressure never increased very much and the little increase i did get was negated by the fact that within two hours the pressure had dropped back down to it's origional level. one of the can's of R134 i added had that green UV dye **** and i can not find a leak ANYWHERE unless it's in the car. but even there i can't find a trace but i haven't cracked the A/C box open.

Attempted Fix: Clean the TB and check for vacum leaks
    Result: No Change

Attempted Fix: Stand next to the car with a gallon of gas and a lit match yelling "i swear to god i'll do it."
    Result: $3.25 wasted burned my finger

Were you using the glasses and the UV light for finding the leak?

One more thing, you mught want to invest in a Zippo, you won't burn your fingers.
    This is my BP. There are many like it but this one is mine. My BP is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my BP is useless. Without my BP I am useless. I must drive my BP true. I must drive straighter than my enemy, who is trying to beat me. I must beat him before he beats me.

Comment

Originally posted by superscort93 View Post
      Were you using the glasses and the UV light for finding the leak?

One more thing, you mught want to invest in a Zippo, you won't burn your fingers.
      yeah i tried with and without the CSI glasses

and i have a zippo but i found the match more effective with my old cars

Comment

Originally posted by ZZebes View Post
        yeah i tried with and without the CSI glasses

and i have a zippo but i found the match more effective with my old cars
        The Next step I would take would be under the dash...

if that fails, grab the BernzOMatic and thermite.
        This is my BP. There are many like it but this one is mine. My BP is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my BP is useless. Without my BP I am useless. I must drive my BP true. I must drive straighter than my enemy, who is trying to beat me. I must beat him before he beats me.

Comment

It sounds like the AC system might be plugged somewhere or have a restriction inside.
          Severe lack of power for the engine could be a plugged cat,you can remove the O2 sensor and have a look down inside to see ,if its ok check the fuel pressure,change the fuel filter as well if you havent allready.
          How does it idle without the AC on?
          Powered by ACME

Comment

Originally posted by Beerizfood View Post
            It sounds like the AC system might be plugged somewhere or have a restriction inside.
            Severe lack of power for the engine could be a plugged cat,you can remove the O2 sensor and have a look down inside to see ,if its ok check the fuel pressure,change the fuel filter as well if you havent allready.
            How does it idle without the AC on?
            i was thinking that because the smaller of the two A/C lines that is supposed to be slightly warmer than the low pressure line is searingly hot to the point it burned my finger when i touched it.

I need to check the cat but i've been to lazy to do it

Comment

i was thinking that because the smaller of the two A/C lines that is supposed to be slightly warmer than the low pressure line is searingly hot to the point it burned my finger when i touched it.

Did it burn you because of the heat, or was it that cold?

Comment

I have seen the desicant in the RX dryer come loose and go downstream.
                And also the expansion valve plugged can do it,but its in the heater box.
                you could try flushing the system with mineral sprirts.