Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new a/c compressor - how much oil to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new a/c compressor - how much oil to use?

I've just installed a new a/c compressor in my '95, and I'm trying to figure out how much oil to add before I charge it. Here's what I know:

--this car is new to me, has about 126k. I don't know anything about its previous a/c history.
    --existing compressor was seized. When I took it out, it contained virtually ZERO oil (perhaps explaining why it seized. )
    --I flushed the a/c lines from the firewall forward with mineral spirits and compressed air. There was almost zero crud (some fine particles) and also virtually no trace of oil in the lines.
    --I've replaced the drier, plus I replaced o-rings wherever I took apart a fitting.
    --I'm planning to add refrigerant that does NOT contain oil, mostly so I know exactly how much oil I've added.
    --I drained the "travel" oil from the new compressor, then added four ounces of new oil. (Sort of a wild-assed guess, since it sounds like 6 ounces is about the usual fill, and I'm assuming there's at least SOME oil somewhere in the system).
    --does that estimate sound about right? should I add more to be safe before I pull vacuum, then charge the system? what happens if I add too MUCH oil?

All suggestions appreciated.

40w? 50w?
    I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
    |.....Overnight....................| ||
    |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
    |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
    "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
    Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Working...
    X