Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whiper fluid pump, possibly seized?

Hello everyone =),

The other day I was on my way to Oshawa from Aurora, Ontario.. and, It was very cold, and I had no whiper fluid in my car. I stopped for gas, and decided to look at buying a bottle of fluid. They had NO fluid for me to purchase, but the owner informed me of a barrel of whiper fluid he has in the back room. I was inclined at this point because I thought it would be free, which is was.

Anyway.. He grabbed a funnel, filled up a bucket and off to my car we went. I popped the hood and we poored the fluid into the car, where I left smiling with clean windows and a working whiper fluid system. The car was parked for about 2 days, but on the second day I started it and tried to get some fluid onto the windows. The RPM's dropped when I press the fluid button, and the blades come on after about 2 seconds of holding it in, BUT no fluid comes out!!!!

I found out later that the fluid the gas station attendant gave me, is the "Squeegy liquid" people use for their windows usually stored in a bucket of some sort beside the gas pump. I also found out this stuff freezes easy, so I rushed to a store and bought a bottle of whiper fluid good for up to -40 weather! Topped it up and still no fluid will come out. I checked all the fuses, I know the liquid is not frozen because theres a stick that is in my whiper fluid tank that agitates the liquid preventing freezing.. Moving the stick around it seems pretty free. I later disconnected all the tubes that go to the nozel on the hood, and no liquid is stored in them so nothing can be frozen in the lines.. I dont know what to do here guys.

Any ideas? I've looked over the car a million times and can't figure this out.
    - Jay
    96 Protege LX 1.8L For Sale!
    Bone stock except for CAI.

You sure the liquid IN the lines isn't frozen? Even just some little bits of frozen liquid could block flow.

Otherwise it could very well be the pump, which is easy to get to with the front right wheel turned, or ideally, removed, and the wheel liner moved out of the way.

Comment

I phsyically removed the lines from the sprayer on the hood, and found no signs of anything being frozen.
      - Jay

Comment

Tomorrow morning I'll take a look at the pump. What kinda test can I run on it to see if that is whats going on?
        - Jay

Comment

bbtw.. dude you have a ****in awesome protege.. lol. mine looks nothing like yours.
          - Jay

Comment

Working...
          X