Driving Lights in the bumper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving Lights in the bumper

Well i went to pepboys to get sum air fresheners today and decided to look @ cone air filters, i came upon a driving light kit, 2x5 rectangles with wiring kit, switch and something else i cant remember but they are $29.99 and are basically foglights both have 1 h3 55w bulb in the housing and i cud replace those with Luminics JDM yellow if they suck so i was jus thinking what do u guys think?
    NO longer owns a 96 protege!!!

Do you want driving lights or fog lights? They have two different beam patterns and light throws and are meant for two completely different purposes. A good set of driving lights can illuminate the road far beyond the capabilities of your high beams whereas the downward-directed beam of the fog lights will illluminate the road closer in and prevent the light from being reflected back into your eyes by the fog as happens with normal low beams.

If you just want the lights for appearance then you can't go wrong at that price but truly effective driving or fog lights from, for example, Bosch, Cibie or Hella, cost substantially more.

Happy Motoring!
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar View Post
      Do you want driving lights or fog lights? They have two different beam patterns and light throws and are meant for two completely different purposes. A good set of driving lights can illuminate the road far beyond the capabilities of your high beams whereas the downward-directed beam of the fog lights will illluminate the road closer in and prevent the light from being reflected back into your eyes by the fog as happens with normal low beams.

If you just want the lights for appearance then you can't go wrong at that price but truly effective driving or fog lights from, for example, Bosch, Cibie or Hella, cost substantially more.

Happy Motoring!

thanks, i just want another pair of lights to go with my headlights so that i can see better @ night im gonna buy the driving lights.

Comment

North America's Premier Automotive Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Read. It's full of useful lighting information.

If you're considering using those lights from Pepboy's to actually enhance your car's lighting, I'd say don't waste your money. I seriously doubt $30 can buy an effective set of fog lamps. If, as goldstar said, you just want the look, go ahead. Just make sure you get them aimed properly so you don't blind anyone.
        1995 626: daily beater, mostly stock. Future NASA racer?

Next up: Speed6 or RX-8

Comment

Originally posted by 1Mazda323Fan View Post
          http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html

Read. It's full of useful lighting information.

If you're considering using those lights from Pepboy's to actually enhance your car's lighting, I'd say don't waste your money. I seriously doubt $30 can buy an effective set of fog lamps. If, as goldstar said, you just want the look, go ahead. Just make sure you get them aimed properly so you don't blind anyone.
          they arnt fog lights they are driving lamps with a 55w bulb in each housing . 2x5 rectangles simmilar to this

Comment

They're probably going to suck.

Comment

Originally posted by firelizard View Post
              thanks for your input, asshole.

Comment

You asked for opinions, and you're getting them. Sorry if you don't like them, but we've all been saying the same thing. Observe:

Originally posted by goldstar View Post
                Originally posted by 1Mazda323Fan View Post
                If you're considering using those lights from Pepboy's to actually enhance your car's lighting, I'd say don't waste your money. I seriously doubt $30 can buy an effective set of fog lamps.
                Originally posted by firelizard View Post
                A $30 set of driving lights is almost guaranteed to be complete garbage. They will likely have such a horrible pattern to them that you'll see no discernible improvement. Far be it for me to tell you how to spend your money, but if you're really trying to enhance your night visibility then you'll have to spend more. There's a reason good lighting systems cost more: they're engineered to work. Lights from Pepboy's and Autozone and the like are made to look neat.
                1995 626: daily beater, mostly stock. Future NASA racer?

Next up: Speed6 or RX-8

Comment

Originally posted by k00lball3r View Post
                  thanks for your input, asshole.
                  Anytime kiddo.

Comment

I would start by dealing with those nasty clouded headlamps to improve vision.