Radiator frame in 97 Protege...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radiator frame in 97 Protege...

My radiator support frame is somewhat rusty on the bottom and I'm in the process of obtaining new motor mounts since the front one is worn along with the one on the front of the engine.

The crossmember that goes under the engine is moderately rusty and I have a feeling that the subframe under the radiator is going to be rusty enough to cause me problems removing the 17mm bolts holding the crossmember on the front.

It looks like that the subframe can be removed that provides support for the radiator which includes the part of the frame where the engine crossmember bolts on. Is my assumption correct? I searched and found no indication of this, so, I apologize if there's a thread or post somewhere here. TIA.
    ________
    UHWH
    Last edited by smokstac; 04-20-2011, 07:28 PM.

Well I guess I answered my own question:

________
    NO2 VAPORIZER REVIEW

Comment

I am glad you found the answer, just an FYI, every now and then it would not hurt to add some pictures so people have a better idea what are you talking about.

Although you have a few posts already, anyway, welcome to CP.

Comment

I'll be happy to post some photos when I'm done. It turns out the frame is actually spot welded in many places to make it integral to the unibody, thus, it cannot be removed by undoing a series of bolts as I had hoped. What I have had to do is take a Dremel and hacksaw to the bolt heads so I could remove the rusty transmission crossmember. There's a bunch of rust inside the frame where the bolts screwed in, so, I went to Lowe's and got some 1/2"x2" grade 8 bolts, washers, and nuts that I will use to secure a replacement crossmember. There's enough room behind the radiator for me to drill all the way through the radiator frame so I can bypass the rusty area. That and the passenger side and front motor mounts were wasted, so, those will be replaced too while I'm at it. Photos to come when I'm done, probably tomorrow.
        ________
        Iolite breakdown

Comment

Working...
        X