Headlights/ HIDs ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlights/ HIDs ?

I searched other topics for this here but was unable to find the answers I was looking for.

I have a 1995 Protege and would like brighter headlights. I don't really care for the blue lights, but if thats what it take Im willing. I have read a little about some HID's with 8000k bulbs with 35w ballast. I see where they also have bulb that go up to 30000k, has anyone ever had any experience with the higher k bulbs?

Or can anyone suggest something else that you have used that are bright. I have not tried the top of the line ones from the local stores(H4's I think), but I dont think they are going to be as bright as I want.

I also have seen these HID's with a high/low switch. Does this mean that you have to use a switch other than the one on the column for high beam? I want high beams but not really another switch.

Would I need a relay switch for a 1995 protege with 9003 bulbs?

A higher K bulb does not mean it's brighter. In fact, the higher you go, the dimmer the light output becomes because of the color. The brightest white you can get is 5000K. OEM bulbs are usually around 4300K, same has halogen I think. 3000K is yellow, which are good for fog lights.

I had an old set of 8000K bulbs with all the hardware/wiring. 8000K is a dark blue. I have since switched to 5000K 50W HID projectors, and WOW! What a difference.

If you want to get an HID conversion kit, try to find a 5000K kit, or 4300K. Anything over 5000K starts to turn blue, and also not as bright. Too high up and you get into the purple.

Comment

Originally posted by irishkev90 View Post
      A higher K bulb does not mean it's brighter. In fact, the higher you go, the dimmer the light output becomes because of the color. The brightest white you can get is 5000K. OEM bulbs are usually around 4300K, same has halogen I think. 3000K is yellow, which are good for fog lights.

I had an old set of 8000K bulbs with all the hardware/wiring. 8000K is a dark blue. I have since switched to 5000K 50W HID projectors, and WOW! What a difference.

If you want to get an HID conversion kit, try to find a 5000K kit, or 4300K. Anything over 5000K starts to turn blue, and also not as bright. Too high up and you get into the purple.
      Yeah I have heard the projectors are bad-ass, yours look great. I read your thread. Im not sure I want to go that deep. I could handle the lens replacement if I could get my hands on some. Thanks.

Any brand you have had or known anyone with experience with? I was look around on ebay and found that prices are up and down for what seems to be the same thing.

Comment

Thanks. My 8000K kit was way overpriced. Not even going to say how much, haha. The brand was Xetronic, but I don't remember the name of the website. I think I just punched "HID conversion kit" into Google and browsed around. I don't know what other people have used, though.

Comment

great price, good quality. ive gotten a bunch of people i know to order from them, some of the people being on this forum. theres a thread about them too somewhere. i have them as well. i think i have some pics of them in my mx3 build thread if you want to look for em.
          sigpic
          ________
          '94 MX-3
          |229,000 miles and DEAD|

SOFA
          KING

SLOW

Comment

You can get super cheap HID kits that output a lot. The light may or may not go where it's supposed to, and I think it's a crap solution to a problem that doesn't really exist.

So far I've only seen one proper HID installation, and that was Intruder's projector retrofit.

Comment

Hey, what about my projectors? Hahaha, just kidding

Comment

i have 3k in my headlights. by far the best headlights ive ever had. my girlfriend has 30k in her civic. they are actually a bright pink.

id go with a nice 6k-8k set if you want a whitish blue.

'88 323 sedan, K-swapped..

'03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege - miss it so much..

'01 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins - 323 hauler

Comment

Originally posted by firelizard View Post
                  You can get super cheap HID kits that output a lot. The light may or may not go where it's supposed to, and I think it's a crap solution to a problem that doesn't really exist.

So far I've only seen one proper HID installation, and that was Intruder's projector retrofit.
                  What would be the problem that doesn't exist?

Comment

If you're looking for better bulbs, check out these: http://store.candlepower.com/h4hb29003bulbs.html. Fellow CP member goldstar has been using them for a while, and they come highly recommended from them. In my opinion, and from a bit of research, most of the 'hyperwhite' or 'ultrabright' bulbs out there are just so much junk. Silverstars fall into that category. Many of those bulbs are actually putting out LESS light than a standard bulb. Yeah, they're brighter, but they don't actually work as well. Also, I recommend a trip over to www.danielsternlighting.com, and doing a bit of poking around there. Really informative site, and it clears up some questions about automotive lighting.

Oh, and blue headlights are not only illegal, but they're dangerous too. Headlights are white for a reason.
                    1995 626: daily beater, mostly stock. Future NASA racer?

Next up: Speed6 or RX-8

Comment

Originally posted by ProtegeTom View Post
                      What would be the problem that doesn't exist?
                      "poor lighting"

Comment

Originally posted by firelizard View Post
                        "poor lighting"
                        i'm guessing you haven't tried driving my pro in the dark... it would be easier with no headlights and just use the light from the moon...
                        sigpic
                        96 protege dx - gone :'(
                        94 Mustang Gt - Became one with a deer
                        02 dodge 1500 - CAI, random aftermarket exhaust
                        95 protege dx - now derivable, my new project

Originally posted by firelizard
                        I'm going to go take a bath in $10 bills after my mom makes me a PB&J.
                        Me: just wondering if that was a 2500 and if it was a diesel
                        Class mate 1: it wasn't mine, but i think it mighta been a 1 ton and ya it was a diesel
                        Class mate 2: no way, that truck was way to big to be a 1 ton...

Comment

Originally posted by bloodyspirit058 View Post
                          i'm guessing you haven't tried driving my pro in the dark... it would be easier with no headlights and just use the light from the moon...
                          Maybe you have something wrong with yours.

I've owned two 2nd gens, plus a set of JDM headlights and even those weren't unusably terrible.

Comment

I guess my deal could just be me. I have a few other cars and and this car by far has the worse lighting. My little 94 nissan truck with stock glass lights is the best. That old truck has better lighing than my Titan and my wife's explorer. I may just be used to better lighting

Comment

Don't forget that headlights aren't meant to light up the road directly in front of you exclusively. What's more important is that they light up obstacles and road signs as they come up. I will concede though, that the stock headlights on BH Proteges aren't the best out there. I'm sticking to my guns that they're decent however, and remember that the design does meet SAE standards for DOT approval and therefore can be taken as at least 'adequate'.

A lot of people think their HIDs are so much better because they scatter light everywhere, giving the impression that their old headlights weren't doing the job.

Comment

Working...
                              X