Rally car out of a BHA | Frankenstein Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rally car out of a BHA | Frankenstein Project

So yea i have another one that I plan to turn it into a rally car. It will be powered by 1.8 BPT engine, gonna turn it into a 4x4 car (all the frontal part gonna be modified to fit the engine and all the parts, also gonna replace front spoiler, hood, headlights, etc. with the ones from BJ 2003 chassis.

Any other ideas you guys might add for this "Frankenstein project"?

Um, cool idea, but unless you got some crazy mad fab skills, I'd honestly recommend going about something that will not be a damn near completely one-off build... but if you do, use the toyota alltrac drivetrain.. or better yet, hell just go 46g3t motor and evo running gear! lol
    1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
    Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
    "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

Agreed^

The work required to make the car 4WD will be a pain to begin with and require a ton of skill and money. And also modifying the front end to use the BJ body work and lights will take a lot of skill and patience.

Honestly, I'd love the see a BH rally car, but it's just not a reasonable thing to do, in my mind. Finding a BG 4WD would be much easier and a helluva lot cheaper.

Comment

bha could be very competitive in FWD rally. both my 323 and Mx3 tailslide corners on gravel with just some fancy steering input and speed

as far as 4x4 is concerned, that sound like a mighty be bite of project to take on.
        "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
        -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
        *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
        172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
        New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

I say do it! I am finding out that it is a lot of work to go AWD from FWD but it isn't impossible. Expect it to take time doing something that hasn't been done, or hasn't been well documented before.
          2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
          1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

It won't be legal. NASA might be OK with it (MIGHT... haven't checked their rulebook on that lately), but RA says you can't make the drivetrain something that wasn't offered for that make and model by the factory.

By all means, build it into a rallycar. It can be made to be plenty fun as a frontdriver. To the point where putting the incredible amount of effort into making it 4wd even if legal to run, to be not worth it. Remember, a rallycar is something that when you wad it into a ball, you should be able to say "well that was fun" and afford to turn right around and build another. This is something that went by the wayside when I did the gt4 swap... it was supposed to be cheap, but I forgot the rule of "make your time/money estimates, then double or triple them"...and I wasn't even having to redo firewall and floorpan like you're gonna hafta do. 'Sides, 2wd has more street cred in US rally these days anyhow. After 2 open class 4wd cars, my next rallycar is gonna be a gp5 RWD, nuff said.
            Last edited by jay; 05-14-2012, 06:49 PM.
            '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
            '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
            http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Working...
            X