X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by midnightblue97
    You----> <----Me

Don't bother, not cost effective.
    I can only imagine what Edwin would say, luckily he seems to be on vacation.

amen amen amen
    According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by psycotic
      im not too worried about it being cost effective.... i just want to be unique. i mean seriously how many protege do you see running around with a rotary engine in em?

thurs a reason for this...lol, but hey good luck. Now delete this thread before TheMan gets back.
      According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

ok midnight i see no point in arguing. let me rephrase my original question.....
        if "someone" were to do a rotary swap what parts would be required?
        mounts
        ecu
        timing belts
        etc....
        OK.
        Let me see what I can think of off the top of my head, keeping in mind that I really don't know, and lets keep the cutting of the floor pan to a minimum and leave the car FWD.

Rotary engine

Wiring harness and ECu.

FWD tranny

Custom engine and probably custom tranny mounts

Some sort of adapter plate to mate the engine to the tranny since we should assume that they won't simply bolt together.

Flywheel and clutch.
        Since we don't know off hand if the flywheel from the tranny that you would be using will bolt up to the eccentric shaft on the rotary, we might be looking at using say....... a rotary flywheel and pressure plate with the FWD clutch disc. Just a thought.

Custom Axles

Custom intake manifold perhaps. I don't know what side of the engine the intake manny is on a rotary, so theoretically when the engine is mounted in the FWD configuration it might be pointing the "wrong way" (towards the passenger side of the engine compartment). Now on my Pro, and probably everyone else's for example, there is ofcourse very little room on the passenger side of our engine compartments, and our intakes therefore "point" to the driver's side. So lets say a custom intake manny.

Depending n the position of the engine and tranny, shift linkage issues might have to be worked out.

Turbo plumbing, coolant plumbing..........
        Thats about all I can think of offhand
        Ryan The middle child is always ignored
        BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
        Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Oh yeah,
          Wiring issues, hooking up the gauges the tach, Speedo, warning lights, check engine light etc. There Ithink I'm done now.
          Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

thank you midnight.... thats mostly what i was wanting to know in the first place...

also about the fwd to rwd conversion i heard you mention somethin about them having crappy handling after words?

Comment

i don't get it, you have a square peg in one hand and a round hole in the other hand.. why bother? everything midnight has mentioned.. but i would submit to you your entire chasis would be compromised as you'd be tearing up a good 80% of your floor boards just to run the drive train.. just my HO

Comment

Slightly Off-topic:
                I don't think I have seen such a ridiculous amount of useless responses to a simple question. The guy was just asking what it would take, and you guys pounce like long-starved predators. This whole thing could have been dealt with in about 2 replies. Granted, what he wants to do is reaching, but do you have to be so insulting about it?

This is exactly the primary reason this board stepped away from the others and has grown so fast. We have a good community of people working to help each other out, not beat each other up like a street gang. Just about everyone here, except the continual beating of people by TheMan, has maintained the cool-factor of this board. Let's please keep it going by posting helpful information, and not wasting all the viewer's time with garbage. (not to mention the server's bandwidth)

So true, and some people are dying to see if Mr.Man is as disrespectful to people/members in person...

Alot of the responses seem kinda bashy, I mean if the guy wants to tear into the car, let him go ahead.. Obviously he must have the funds to back it up. If he can pull it off then cool. I know it would be an awkward yet seriously fast car.
                Last edited by bruce95fmla; 07-14-2004, 04:27 PM.
                My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
                JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
                AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

C-17 Pilot--Jonathan--ProTuner

Comment

Originally posted by glyph
                  Slightly Off-topic:
                  I don't think I have seen such a ridiculous amount of useless responses to a simple question. The guy was just asking what it would take, and you guys pounce like long-starved predators. This whole thing could have been dealt with in about 2 replies. Granted, what he wants to do is reaching, but do you have to be so insulting about it?

This is exactly the primary reason this board stepped away from the others and has grown so fast. We have a good community of people working to help each other out, not beat each other up like a street gang. Just about everyone here, except the continual beating of people by TheMan, has maintained the cool-factor of this board. Let's please keep it going by posting helpful information, and not wasting all the viewer's time with garbage. (not to mention the server's bandwidth)
                  Yeah, one post could have taken care of the whole thing really:

"SEARCH"

Sorry, I don't mean to be a dick, but we're all aware that the search button is your friend.
                  Last edited by midnightblue97; 07-13-2004, 10:30 AM.

Comment

thank you midnight.... thats mostly what i was wanting to know in the first place...

also about the fwd to rwd conversion i heard you mention somethin about them having crappy handling after words?
                    Well, again I don't know for sure, but you'd need to cut the floor pan all to hell to make way for a drive shaft, the rear part to make room for the rear axle. You'vd probably end up having to run a fuel cell, which would take up room in your trunk, the Firewall might have to be modified as well.....
                    All that cutting and **** would take away from the structural integrity of the shell.

Comment

Well, again I don't know for sure, but you'd need to cut the floor pan all to hell to make way for a drive shaft, the rear part to make room for the rear axle. You'vd probably end up having to run a fuel cell, which would take up room in your trunk, the Firewall might have to be modified as well.....
                      All that cutting and **** would take away from the structural integrity of the shell.
                      Would you really have to cut up all that much? I'm guessing here, but since Mazda made the first and 3rd gens with 4wd, why not the 2nd gen also? And if they did, there would already be room for rear drive equipment. Right?

Comment

i did search after my intial post but all i really found was a lot of bashing of skr33t. so i figured it was poinbtless to look further ....

Comment

^^^ he's kinda got a point there

Comment

lol. I imagine there is someone out there who is familiar with the japanese versions of the protege, or is has a contact with someone, and they could at least get you pictures. I would check with vendors like Corksport who import JDM stuff regularly.

for the handling, I would imagine that a car setup for front rear drive handling will be affected by a rear-wheel drive conversion.
                            My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
                            JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
                            AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

C-17 Pilot--Jonathan--ProTuner

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
                              Would you really have to cut up all that much? I'm guessing here, but since Mazda made the first and 3rd gens with 4wd, why not the 2nd gen also? And if they did, there would already be room for rear drive equipment. Right?
                              Pretty sure the Second gens in some markets were AWD too.
                              Basically its a different frame and floor pan type dealie. Since our market cars were desinged for FWd they came with a FWD frame and floor pan. The other markets had both FWD and AWD options so they had the 2 different chassis.

Comment

ok call me stupid....

HE SAID TO CALL HIM STUPID...WE just did what he wanted.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Working...
                                X