No announcement yet.

me and my bright ideas.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't forget that to do this, you would effectively have to disable your car for months, if not forever, trying to do this. You might have to cut up a perfectly good car. I'd rather do it to some $500 car instead.
    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Originally posted by fuq_A_vtec
      HE SAID TO CALL HIM STUPID...WE just did what he wanted.
      haha i said call me stupid
      not rub it in :-p

Comment

Originally posted by psycotic
        haha i said call me stupid
        not rub it in :-p
        ahh ****, sorry dude, but for real if your serious, i wish you all the good luck and fortune one can have with a serious project like this.
        According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

yeah he may have to cut up the shell, but remeber that he would also have to employ a good welder who could reweld everything along with re-enforce everything.. With good bracing there wouldn't be any problems...

But anyway I would rather go with a BP with the biggest Turbo I could find.. But a cup of tea can be brewed in many flavors.
          photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

hey bruce, how come your comments ended up in my post? See #22 above...
            My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
            JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
            AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

C-17 Pilot--Jonathan--ProTuner

Comment

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
              yeah he may have to cut up the shell, but remeber that he would also have to employ a good welder who could reweld everything along with re-enforce everything.. With good bracing there wouldn't be any problems...

But anyway I would rather go with a BP with the biggest Turbo I could find.. But a cup of tea can be brewed in many flavors.

Wleding creates alot of heat, and too much heat will weaken and warp metal.
              The thinner it is, lie on our cars, the easier it is to warp.
              Ryan The middle child is always ignored
              BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
              Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Sounds like a lot of trouble. You should just do the BP swap. Get all the parts- ready to go. Have another car to drive. And make it like a week or less project. I think I have heard of people doing it in just a couple days. It would be much more cost efective, easier and you could do most of it yourself possibly.

I dunno, just my 2 cents- im thinkin about the BP swap soon myself.

Comment

Originally posted by midnightblue97
                  Wleding creates alot of heat, and too much heat will weaken and warp metal.
                  The thinner it is, lie on our cars, the easier it is to warp.
                  then why do auto cross racers seam weld their cars all the way around, inside-out. it guess it just depends on the welder. but if done correctly it'll make it stronger.
                  Almost there

jdm tails... check
                  jdm bumper... check
                  ms lip... check
                  ms grill... check
                  ms sideskirts... check
                  ms rear skirts... check
                  ms spoiler... check
                  ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
                  Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

everyone is saying bp swap.....
                    i still like the idea of a rotary protege... but with the amount of stuff yall are talking about having to do i could be carless for a few months......
                    so if i do decide to go bp where is a cheap place to get one and what parts are needed in it?

Comment

I think you'll have to go to a forum for cars with rotaries. I doubt you are going to find much about that here.
                      My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
                      JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
                      AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

C-17 Pilot--Jonathan--ProTuner

Comment

Originally posted by 95pro
                        then why do auto cross racers seam weld their cars all the way around, inside-out. it guess it just depends on the welder. but if done correctly it'll make it stronger.
                        ****ty mood nothing personal.......
                        I don't know of any Auto-Xers that do that. Yes the metal when heated to a certain point can be made weaker, and welding them up like that can make the chassis stiffer, but not necessarily make it "stronger".
                        I don't know if that made sense. Probabvly not.
                        Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

It depends on the welder (person). I have been welding for years and all you really have to do is make sure you dont sit on one spot for too long. Its really not that hard.

All you have to do is spot weld, for exampe say you have two peices of metal

-----------------------------------
                          -----------------------------------

and you want to put them together, (+ is a spot weld.)

first you go over the metal like this

====+======+======+====

let it cool for a few minutes then

+===+===+==+===+==+===+

wait a little longer, and keep repeating this process. just keep the weld short and sweet, but make sure its hot enough to burn through the metal to get a stong weld. You will be able to tell when your burning through properly as it will look like the weld made a whole where it is, and when you flip it over you will see the back side of the weld glowing red (While its still hot).

Then, once your welds are all about an inch to 1/2 inch apart (depending on the thickness of the metal) you can weld lines in between the spots, but skip each line and go back to them later, for example

First do this:

+++++===++++===++++===+

Then go back and fill in the other lines

+++++++++++++++++++++++

if you do this right and let the metal cool for long enough between each weld you will get welds that are stronger than the origional metal could ever have been and the metal around the welds will not be made weaker. Make sure to practice on some pices of sheet metal before you actually jump into any real welding.

There is Matt's Welding for Dummies tutorial

(I know noone was really asking how to weld, but I figured I'd explain it

"The only thing worse than bad memories, is no memories at all" - The Dismemberment Plan

Comment

not asking to know, but interesting none the less.
                            THanks

Comment

Working...
                            X