No announcement yet.

Lowering my 98 Protege...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah I see. Well lets us know how it goes all the same.

Comment

just went to advance autoparts yesterday, new strut mounts are about $60 each. does that sound about right?
      check it out...
      http://www.yarilswork.com/

Comment

online for 45 at parts train for the cheapest.

Im sure you might find a better deal.
        They have a warehouse near me though so I get my stuff hella quick.
        Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
        kitty, you are a hilarious woman
        Originally posted by HopelessCow
        there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
        Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

kool thanks
          check it out...

Comment

im not sure what to buy? there seems to be various part numbers for the strut mounts:

link to parts train strut mounts:

link to the front strut mounts:

link to rear right strut mounts:

link to rear left strut mounts:

found these front strut mounts on e-bay:

Can somebody please help me? i need to order these ASAP, my new struts arrived today and i expect the B+G springs tomorrow or monday.

thanks again for all the help so far,
            Yaril
            check it out...

Comment

i ended up buying all 4 strut mounts for 160 shipped. once they arrive i can install everything.

springs and struts arrived already:

check it out...

Comment

so i finally installed everything. the ride is much better. however, i do not see 2.5" drop? will the springs settle or compress more? i think it looks like stock?

any feedback... i will get better pics of the overall car tomorrow:

shot of the front:

shot of the rear:

this is with the wheels painted in black (i was painting my hubcaps):

front tire fender gap:

rear tire fender gap (full tank of gas):
                check it out...

Comment

looks good, i think most of the time you wont really see those drops, especially in your case since you got brand new struts as well. when i was doing mine, i used my 8 year old struts and i still didnt see the 2 inch drop.

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
                  Mods:
                  DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
                  http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

How long did it take you to do this project? If it is a weekend thing I will jump on doing it to mine.
                    This is my BP. There are many like it but this one is mine. My BP is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my BP is useless. Without my BP I am useless. I must drive my BP true. I must drive straighter than my enemy, who is trying to beat me. I must beat him before he beats me.

Comment

Is that suppose to be a 2 inch plus drop? Mines around the same and you barely can put 2 fingers inbetween. I also have new struts on mine and i really like the lower stance coz it makes the car wide and other non lowered car look like a 4x4..lol

JDM inspired protege with super rare mazdaspeed parts.

Comment

beetle_orange: i guess your right. i was really hoping to lose the tire fender gap.

superscort93: i have done this "job" before so i knew what i had to do. i also had a good spring compresor and not to mention air tools (not needed). i took about 4 hours start to finish. i took advantage of the car being on stands and rotated the tires and degreesed the wheel wells. as well as painting the rims and hubcaps.

txmzdspd2gen: yup, it claimed 2.25 -2.5 drop. maybe its cause yours has bigger wheels while mine is still on 14s?

i am going to wait about 1 week and then take it to the alignment shop (let it settle i guess). i sure wish this thing was lower.
                        check it out...

Comment

Originally posted by tylordurben View Post
                          beetle_orange: i guess your right. i was really hoping to lose the tire fender gap.

superscort93: i have done this "job" before so i knew what i had to do. i also had a good spring compresor and not to mention air tools (not needed). i took about 4 hours start to finish. i took advantage of the car being on stands and rotated the tires and degreesed the wheel wells. as well as painting the rims and hubcaps.

txmzdspd2gen: yup, it claimed 2.25 -2.5 drop. maybe its cause yours has bigger wheels while mine is still on 14s?

i am going to wait about 1 week and then take it to the alignment shop (let it settle i guess). i sure wish this thing was lower.

Well, i might be in 17 inch rims but thats still have the overall diameter specified for our 2gens. Wheels maybe biger but is compensated on the tire thickness.

JDM inspired protege with super rare mazdaspeed parts.

Comment

Originally posted by txmzdspd2gen View Post
                            Well, i might be in 17 inch rims but thats still have the overall diameter specified for our 2gens. Wheels maybe biger but is compensated on the tire thickness.
                            yeah, i understand that. i even rechecked the box to make sure it had the correct part number. what can i do? i was really hoping to loose some of that wheel gap. are my tire size "correct" 195 60R14?
                            check it out...

Comment

You could try contacting B+G...

This may sway me in favour of Ground Control...

Comment

Originally posted by tylordurben View Post
                                yeah, i understand that. i even rechecked the box to make sure it had the correct part number. what can i do? i was really hoping to loose some of that wheel gap. are my tire size "correct" 195 60R14?
                                the tires i got stock with my protege were 195/65/R14. but i've had some 185/65/R14's as well.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X