No announcement yet.

Strut Bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are still 2 strut mount bolts holding the bar in right? One that you can't see in the picture, and then the one next to the cruise control, correct?

I would say you're better off cutting off that part of the endplate that is interfering with the that third strut mount nut, because its not allowing the strut mount to seat properly against the strut tower and thats going to either eventually come loose since its crooked, or damage the nut/stud.

Im not sure if that strut bar came with that rectangle section already removed from the endplate, but if it didnt, it woulda been a better idea to just drill a hole for the third stud, as Ryan suggested.

Make sure that no matter what, you don't just remove the bolt... that is 1 of the 3 bolts holding the shock/strut to the chassis, and thats the only reason why im saying its important to make sure its on there properly.

Comment

Originally posted by pigeon View Post
      There are still 2 strut mount bolts holding the bar in right? One that you can't see in the picture, and then the one next to the cruise control, correct?

I would say you're better off cutting off that part of the endplate that is interfering with the that third strut mount nut, because its not allowing the strut mount to seat properly against the strut tower and thats going to either eventually come loose since its crooked, or damage the nut/stud.

Im not sure if that strut bar came with that rectangle section already removed from the endplate, but if it didnt, it woulda been a better idea to just drill a hole for the third stud, as Ryan suggested.

Make sure that no matter what, you don't just remove the bolt... that is 1 of the 3 bolts holding the shock/strut to the chassis, and thats the only reason why im saying its important to make sure its on there properly.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by pigeon View Post
        The strut bars "lock" the strut towers in place. So whatever your alignment is set at, will remain true under hard cornering because the chassis is unable to flex. It doesn't actually "pull" anything together, or make any changes. It just prevents unwanted changes.

As for the rear strut tower bars, check out this thread.
        I know the basics of a strut bar and what are its benefits. I was just asking if it's a straight bolt on or does it require some measuring, thinking and setting.
        Garage: Mazda Protege 1995, Z5 engine, MTX, P/S, no A/C, no ABS.

PM me if you need: comprehensive Autodata information; Mazda's 2nd generation workshop manual; Mazda's Z5 overhaul workshop manual.

Comment

just cut a washer so that the bolt sits flush. much simplier.
          Originally posted by 1967cutlas
          You make a lot of grammatical errors for such a refined gentleman.

Comment

Originally posted by iwantyourcar View Post
            just cut a washer so that the bolt sits flush. much simplier.
            You da man. That was what I was going to post also and forgot. I think it is the easiest way to go without more work.

Although the nut may not turn when it gets close to the bracket.

Comment

ya you could also do that, put something to take up the space... so the nut sits flush on the washer/bracket, and the washer/bracket sits flush against the strut tower

just make sure that it can't slip out, cause that would really **** everything up
              i'd still just cut off the edge of the bracket, its not doing anything in there aside from making things complicated
              Last edited by pigeon; 12-18-2007, 05:18 PM.

Comment

whoa chill out there santos.... this $200 nonsense is way off..... if you search ebay & really really pay attention to the auctions you will notice that their are 2 kinds of strut bars available. (as far as endplate wise) I prefer the full circular endlplate- in y our case it would be much more benifical to have, life goes on no worries.
                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

the ones with circular end plates have 0 holes matching the bha bolt pattern
                  Originally posted by 1967cutlas
                  You make a lot of grammatical errors for such a refined gentleman.

Comment

Ya, but at least material is there for you to drill your own holes

Comment

^ as chris said
                      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Thanks for the picture, I think I can get that now, maybe after winter. As for the other comments,I drilled the third hole, as not to mess with the integrity of the plate. I am thinking of buying another one....for a little special project that has been running trough my mind.
                        This is my BP. There are many like it but this one is mine. My BP is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my BP is useless. Without my BP I am useless. I must drive my BP true. I must drive straighter than my enemy, who is trying to beat me. I must beat him before he beats me.

Comment

whats this special project??

Comment

When the rain breaks or the weather warms, you guys will see!
                            This is my BP. There are many like it but this one is mine. My BP is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my BP is useless. Without my BP I am useless. I must drive my BP true. I must drive straighter than my enemy, who is trying to beat me. I must beat him before he beats me.

Comment

Originally posted by superscort93 View Post
                              When the rain breaks or the weather warms, you guys will see!
                              Now you got me curious. Lol. Sub'n
                              1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                              1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                              2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                              2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                              .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Maybe his sunroof was leaking and he fixed it.
                                Garage: Mazda Protege 1995, Z5 engine, MTX, P/S, no A/C, no ABS.

PM me if you need: comprehensive Autodata information; Mazda's 2nd generation workshop manual; Mazda's Z5 overhaul workshop manual.

Comment

Working...
                                X