New front struts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New front struts

I'm looking for new front struts for my '96 Protege LX. Both are locked up tight and need replacing. I found matching KYBs for about $50 each so I will go with those. There are some cheaper ones on eBay but I don't trust those no-name struts.

Should I consider getting a new set of springs, boot, and mount as well? I believe everything on the car is original.

Either way, I'm going to have the struts assembled at a shop for safety reasons.

I think keeping the stock springs will be fine. Replace the dust boots and make sure the mounts are in good shape. Is you have a spring compressor, setting up the assembly is a piece of cake.

Go with the KYB strut, I wouldn't trust any eBay strut either.

Comment

Originally posted by irishkev90 View Post
      I think keeping the stock springs will be fine. Replace the dust boots and make sure the mounts are in good shape. Is you have a spring compressor, setting up the assembly is a piece of cake.

Go with the KYB strut, I wouldn't trust any eBay strut either.
      I don't have a proper spring compressor. I am just afraid of messing with the springs after hearing some horror stories. Those cheap pairs of compressors that are just two hooks don't seem very safe to me.

Comment

That's basically what I used. Just have to crank them down evenly, but if you're not comfortable then take it to a pro. Other than that, maybe new rubber spring seats if you can find some. I just reused my old ones without problems though.

Comment

Just ordered a pair of KYB GR2, new boots, and a nice set of spring compressors. total was $155.30. Not bad considering I would be looking at $500 minimum for a shop to do it.
          Amazon Prime is amazing for this kind of stuff. I can't imagine how much shipping would be without it considering the weight of my order.

Struts are interchangeable so I have read. So I bought two KYB GR2 333182 because it was eligible for Prime. KYB's catalog says they are for the front right, but I think it will be OK.

Comment

Are you sure? What about where the brake line mounts to the strut? Won't it be on the wrong side of the left strut?

Comment

I'll double check when they arrive before I do anything. They look the same according to KYB's catalog and looking around online, a lot of people say they are interchangeable. If not, oh well. send one back and order the proper one.

Comment

If that bracket is on the inside of the strut I could see them being interchangeable, but I think it's on the front side. Which would put it on the back side if using the passenger strut on the driver side. I could be wrong, though. I haven't been under my car in a while.

Comment

KYB GR2 working real good for me

Comment

Working...
                  X