Jeffs MSP GTR Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

small teaser pic is small
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

How long is it compared to a stock intake mani
      Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
      "Who Dey"

Comment

I really like this ride... too bad my wife's car is full of cancer...these cars can really hug the road...if there's one bad thing about the BJ it's the **** recycled metal it's made of...
        91 GT- Li'l Bee (under construction)
        2013 Honda Accord V6 coupe - 14.7 sec. 1/4 mile

New Thread:
        Wilyb's 91 Pro GT Rebuild: Li'l B: http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...Rebuild-Li-l-B

Old Threads:

WilyB's 93 GT rebuild worklog : http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...-93-GT-rebuild
        My FE3 worklog thread:http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...ighlight=wilyb

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wilyb View Post
          I really like this ride... too bad my wife's car is full of cancer...these cars can really hug the road...if there's one bad thing about the BJ it's the **** recycled metal it's made of...
          ya i dont understand it, my car is pretty good with hardly any rust, but others seem to fall apart. I guess having a minor exhaust leak for 8 years rust proofed the car daily lol

S197 Mustang GT Convertible The New DD. (Ford Racing 3.73/JLT CAI/SCT SF3 Tuner/Ford Racing Exhaust)
          2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Maximus Tractionous Wifeymobilious
          Previous ~ 235whp 1.8 BP Powered 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege ~ - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
            small teaser pic is small
            When it is put together I will post better pics. here is a pic from wednesday night. up to my usual tricks I welded everything together and then used some JB weld to blend my uglyness. not so nice to look at but should function fine as a prototype. was getting ready for final grinding/sanding of the plenum and I loaded windows8 dev preview onto the carputer. should run megasquirt software fine. works great with my touchscreen. the plenum is painted now and almost ready for install will post some pics when she is on and running.

A few more sand/paint sessions and it is testing time for the prototype plenum. this piece has just basic features, no trumpets for the runners, nothing too special. more of a test fit. if everything works good I will have the same guy who made my mint runners make the plenum with the nice intake trumpets and do a good job. as you can tell I am not a welder/fabricator/painter but i do enjoy making these proto pieces myself.
            Last edited by vtec-this; 02-10-2012, 01:35 PM.

S197 Mustang GT Convertible The New DD. (Ford Racing 3.73/JLT CAI/SCT SF3 Tuner/Ford Racing Exhaust)

Comment

Originally posted by Mazda_Powered View Post
              oh baby, that's looking hot! When's the test fit??
              Originally posted by Mike_Moss
              Pics installed? lolz. Can't wait to see how you're making that fit!
              Plenty of room. Tightest spot is near the brake lines. the rest is flexible/movable.

I only had a 5 hour window of time to test these out this feb long weekend. in 5 hours i have the stock im out, the new one in, made a little brace to hold the stock throttle cable a bit better than just the gsxr throttle bracket pictured, made a base map made off my previous itb map with the megasquuirt, got the car running well enough to idle and take a few drives down the street, then pulled the manifold and had it back together. its so nice working on a setup with plenty of room. i just need a proper tps connector from gsxr as i dont think i will ever have it run great without running alpha-N instead of just map. with just map using tricks with one way valves i can get it running decent enough to get around town and make good power at WOT but transitional and WOT to no throttle never seems to work too well no matter how i tune it. i think the gsxr tps is true linear and not just on/off so it should be easy enough to program into MS and sort out.

Comment

ya that GSR bracket doesn't look to happy with the OEM throttle cable lol, glad you found a secure place to re-enforce it man. Glad to hear you had a good few hours on her too though, nothing like having a smooth work session.
                -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

ITB's are sick! that some serious custom work there.

Comment

bit of an update I have been neglecting my thread here on ClubPro.

I am in the middle of installing a T4oe turbocharger with GTX manifold and a new G series. Still on the BP. This engine doesnt quit. The plan is still to upgrade to the GTR bottom end once this n/a BP gives up.

Here are some recent pics of the install.

Well after some more grinding and tweaking it fits. It is a much tighter fit than it looks.

Exhaust downpipe will have to clear coolant inlet which should be pretty easy.

Compressor Inlet interferes with front Trans mount. We will see what the sawzall and grinder have to say about this..

but ya its almost together just taking alot longer than I had hoped due to constantly modding everything to fit. When she is done the setup will be snug like a glove.

Comment

well i managed to get everything together. last step is to lower engine in, hook up electronics and intercooler piping and start her up.

only thing i am worried about is a went a little too close to the water inlet with the downpipe. there is a few mm of room between them but when I wrap the downpipe they are touching..

I dont have much experience with wrapping exhaust, but i am hoping the wrap be a good enough thermal barrier to keep the heat out of the water inlet with the wrap just 1 layer thick.

Or do you guys think my rubber rad hose deteriorate quickly? It is so tight I cant get 2 layers so I am a little concerned. My other option is to take a hammer and make a few more mm of clearance in the downpipe with a few precise smacks. it would be ugly, but wrapped so nobody would see, though I would like to avoid doing this if possible.

i guess there is no way to know for sure until I drive it hard.

i am keeping the oil feed long for now as I am avoiding cutting it as I may need to use the line for another project down the road. it will get tucked nicely once its in the car.

I didnt end up modding the front transmount as i found a 3" OEM intake pipe couplinh that bends perfectly around it so for now I am going to trying running with that as is and see how it goes

Comment

setup looks good man! How come you're not running the tubular exhaust manifold like you had before? I may have missed that update
                        -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

this is a t4oe turbo and I am using a gtx manifold with adaptor. the other manifold was for a t25 and there is no way it could ever hold the weight of anything larger than a T25 reliably IMO

Comment

another night of wrenching.

I will post up some vids once I have time to tune her next week.

Comment

I highly reccomend going back to the T25 manifold. Change out the flange to a T3 & add bracing. build a support bracket for the hotside to the block & you'll be fine.
                              Just remember- even OEM uses a brace - block to turbo. mine is a thin walled SS manifold as well & holds just fine.
                              not only will it flow better- it also looks pretty
                              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

well she is together and purrrs. very quiet aside from intake / bov sounds until the wastegate opens. I have run up to 13psi so far and it seems to be taking it well. I was worried about huge lag but it is very good. no there is not much action at 2500rpm but by 3500 power increase becomes noticable. if you have ever driven a 323gtx fwd the spool is similar but once 4500rpm comes things get really fun. 13psi comes very quickly. I ended up ovalizing the 3" dp and 3" intake to make them clear the waterneck and motor mount a bit better. Will take some new pics soon. tuning is still very conservative and I am estimating it is between 220-240 flywheel from 1.8l. Both the turbo and the engine can take more. Right now my only concern is the fmic. It is only rated to 300HP and I am really liking the idea of a water to air setup but still not sure of anything. Pulls like a FSDET with all the bolt ons tuned at 10psi, but doesnt die in the top end it just keeps pulling til rev limited. but it still needs lots of tuning before I start upping the boost.

Comment

Working...
                                X