No announcement yet.

Keith's '02 Protege ES Worklog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been reading your entire thread for the past day or so. The car looks great, and I also appreciate seeing the clean work on the sound system. Have you thought about adding a cap to your system. A lot of people disagree with me on this one, but I've always ran a cap in-line between the power and the amp. The alternator won't have to take the large draws all at once. Think about it, Plus would you be able to post or pm me the run down on the fuel pump kill switch?

Cheers, Ty
    Last edited by TheDanny; 12-29-2010, 03:55 PM.
    1988 Mercury Tracer. (aka Ford Laser)

sigpic

"If you do not try you cannot fail, but neither can you succeed.....however....If you dont have any clue what your doing, please, ask for help."

The above quote does not in any way imply that I know everything, but rather that I too need to ask for help sometimes

Comment

Yes but a cap strains the battery form what Ive heard, plus with the new system there is no way I need a cap, the old one may have needed one tho :p. And yes ill PM you

Comment

cheers mate. Your right, the new system will be just fine. Just thought I'd throw it out there. I've never had to replace a battery before. As for the last few systems that I've installed though, I've been running a secondary red top. 3000 watts will require that though.

Cheers, Ty

sigpic

"If you do not try you cannot fail, but neither can you succeed.....however....If you dont have any clue what your doing, please, ask for help."

The above quote does not in any way imply that I know everything, but rather that I too need to ask for help sometimes

Comment

Hehe yea, Ive got my eye on a redtop, my battery struggles in this cold weather, too bad good batteries as so goddamn expensive :p

PS: PM sent

Comment

well worth it though. This is the first winter in a while here that hasn't actually been that bad. Its plus temps right now.

sigpic

Comment

Haha thats Canada for ya :p

Comment

so true

sigpic

Comment

Got this today:

Comment

Started the rear mount replacement today by removing the IM. The is by far the most involved project Ive done to date, and am a little out of my comfort level...

Anyway, this is how she sits in the garage as of now:

I do need some advice on a couplet things however:

What is this goop on the butterflies?

Is there a recommended way to get at the bolts holding the mount on?

How can I get this gasket residue off the mani, it seems to be glued on?

Hopefully, Ill get the mount done and the IM back in tomorrow!!

Comment

take a razor blade or a putty knife to the gasket residue, man.
                      and that goop on the butterflies is probably oil, carbon, gas mix.
                      as for the motor mount bolts, ive never worked on a BJ, but it looks like that particular mount is bolted to the subframe. the front bolt you can probably get off with the aid of a u-joint... the back bolt, well you may just have to lower the sub frame some to get at it.
                      loves BGs too much for his own good...

93 pro lx. daily runaround until a straight shell can be had.
                      73 datsun 260z, yet another project in need of more love.

"yeah im sure you as a redneck and then a dude walking around with a mohawk, wearing gang rags... you're sure to stir up some trouble..."
                      sigpic

Comment

Yea I tried the razor blade, but its mad slow and not coming off well. You think a little brake clean or something similar will help loosen it up?

Comment

yeah, just spray it in a tupperware container, so there is say like at least 1/8th inch covering the bottom, and just set it in there and let it soak it up. id say leave it there to do its thing for like 30-45 minutes.

"yeah im sure you as a redneck and then a dude walking around with a mohawk, wearing gang rags... you're sure to stir up some trouble..."
                          sigpic

Comment

Get a some carb cleaner and clean up that carbon in your intake. A clean intake is a happy intake!
                            and as for the gasket material, Use a scotch brite pad. Use it on the head too, You need a clean surface or your gasket won't seal.

for the mount I'd jack up the motor a bit by using a wooden block on the oil pan. then loosen the bottom nuts. Then the one that goes through it and it should pull out.
                            -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
                            VF10 powered!
                            262 Whp & 257 Wtq
                            13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

Ace, our mounts have studs on them that come out the bottom of the crossmember... his appear to have studs on the subframe that the mount bolts to. so i dont think that he has bottom bolts. (but i could be wrong)

sigpic

Comment

^^Yes the mount mounts to studs on the "subframe"? I dunno if thats what its called, Im allso drunk so this might not make sese lol

Comment

Working...
                                X