No announcement yet.

Keith's '02 Protege ES Worklog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost like what I'm planning for my trunk. Sheet of wood, carpet on top, trap door for spare tire/tools. But the door will also hold my amp which will be under a sheet of plexiglass. And a piece of carpet to cover the plexi when I need to use the trunk.

HTC Droid Incredible

Comment

^Cool man!

Comment

Picked this up from the machine shop a few minutes ago:

Comment

Ambitious yes, but it sounds like a solid idea! Just don't go too heavy with the wood haha
          '12 Ford Focus SEL

Comment

Yea I gotta see what I got laying around

Comment

Today I got the power steering pump back in place :D

Also started the wood trunk floor:
              Original cut out

Test fit with a cut down the middle:

Test fit with trap door cut out:

Test fit with all the pieces:

Now I gotta run to the hardware store and pick up a couple hinges and some flat metal brackets that will keep the pieces in line
              Last edited by Sleezer1533; 01-04-2011, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Nice. I've wanted to do something like that for a while. You're gonna carpet it right?
                -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
                VF10 powered!
                262 Whp & 257 Wtq
                13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

Oh yes, Ive gotta get it all level and flush and then the carpet will be going on

Comment

nice work man. Hope everything goes well.
                    1988 Mercury Tracer. (aka Ford Laser)

sigpic

"If you do not try you cannot fail, but neither can you succeed.....however....If you dont have any clue what your doing, please, ask for help."

The above quote does not in any way imply that I know everything, but rather that I too need to ask for help sometimes

Comment

oh wow! that was quick! looks awesome man keep it up
                      '12 Ford Focus SEL

Comment

This came today:

EDIT:::
                        So Im having some trouble with the front mount. Ive hit a snag. As you can see in the photo, the bushing bolt cant get past that black circle thing, which I cant seem the get out of the way. Any ideas?

EDIT:::
                        NVM I figured it out lol
                        The service manual says its a roll damper. Anyway I got it off. Im taking a break for lunch now so I figure Ill update since the mount is in. That was more of a PITA than people have claimed. Had to take the subframe cross member off to take the brace that the mount is bolted too off. Things were waaaay off, although when you see the condition of the stock mount you may understand why lol.

Anyway, got the roll damper off at the expense of one retention clip, but I think the other one will hold it fine:

The old mount ... that cant be healthy lol

The new mount in its new home:

I think Ill go out and work a little more on the trunk floor
                        EDIT::
                        Day is over and Ive move along with the trunk floor
                        Door is hinged up, all needed now is a test fit and to figure out how to tackle the carpeting given that it has to be installed in 3 pieces...
                        Last edited by Sleezer1533; 01-05-2011, 03:58 PM.

Comment

any way to carpet it over the top and unfold it somehow once its in the car? or does space not allow that? what if you were to re-cut out the piece and instead of cutting down the middle cut maybe 2/3rds over, might be able to carpet it all and then fold the 1/3rd piece over and unfold it once in the car? hope you get what im saying lol

edit: otherwise having a line down the middle where the two pieces meet shouldnt be a big deal, with the carpet added there will be more material there and it should fit pretty snugly, might not even notice anything there, and the door will obviously be separated as well... it wouldnt look bad IMO.
                          Last edited by Mazdaspd2008; 01-05-2011, 04:34 PM.
                          '12 Ford Focus SEL

Comment

Im thinking of gluing down one side and the door outside the car, and then gluing the other side in the car

Comment

hmm that could work too, either way, im sure youll figure out some way to get it done nicely, your handiwork on the cutout is good enough as is
                              '12 Ford Focus SEL

Comment

Thanks man

Comment

Working...
                                X