No announcement yet.

Keith's '02 Protege ES Worklog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same problem I had. The brakes had an effect on how the car idled/stalled. I had no leaks, but I did take off the throttle body and clean that out, also replaced the gasket because it ripped when I took it off. I raised my idle to just a hair under 1000rpm which kept it from stalling, but still acted up. After I cleaned the EGR it was fine. Put the idle back down and it runs like it did before the stalling. Still rough, but nothing unusual to me. Any codes stored in the computer? Even if the light isn't on there could still be a code.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk.

Comment

Yea bank1 too lean

Comment

Too lean? Hmm, fuel pump/screen, fuel filter, injectors, fuel pressure regulator?I didn't go back and read your posts of what you've done, but besides a restriction somewhere in the fuel system it could just be a major vacuum leak, but I think you already checked for that.

Comment

Still leaning toward the vac leak

Comment

NEED HELP! NEED HELP! NEED HELP!

Car died while driving and now wont start need to get to work tuesday so I need to fix this asap

Heres the rundown...

Spend the morning pulling the IM so I could solve my vac leak issues causing the bad idle and stalling.
            Replaced the plenum gasket, the IM gasket, the throttle body gasket, cleaned the EGR and replaced that gasket as well. Got everything together and started he up and, voila! The car awesome again. Let it run while I cleaned up my tools then took her for a ride. Was really impressed, the idle was awesome, no more stuttering.

Got about 10 mins from my appt. and was making a left when the engine cut off. Coasted to the side of the road and tried to start her back up, when I turn the key its like normal but it wont fire up ... it like when I accidentally leave my fuel pump kill switch off and try to start the car. When I turn the key two clicks and the gauges come on, the temp gauge needle is all the way above the H even after sitting on the side of the road for an hour. The oil light is also on.

Got towed back to the appt. and the car is just sitting in the lot

Any ideas guys what is going on?? I really need to get this running b/c my work is 30 mins away. Luckily I have off till tuesday but I need this thing running asap

Comment

Bad thermostat or coolant temp sensor? Is it getting fuel? Your description makes it sound like it's cranking over, but not getting fuel.

Comment

If the thermostat or temp sensor died would that cause the car to refuse to start? And yea its cranking like it not getting fuel but I dont know why it wouldnt be

Comment

Well I was thinking.g the thermostat or temp sensor because of the gauge problem. I'm not sure if they have any affect on starting, though. I'm jot a master mechanic, just throwing out ideas that come to mind, haha.

Comment

it cranks tho?
                    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Yep it cranks all day, just no start. Tried some starting fluid in the intake and she rumbles and stutters a little bit like she wants to start but only when cranking the key

Comment

double checked your work? everything is hooked up still?

also did the car overheat while you went for a drive? you said it was H on the temp gauge...

if it's just reading H all the time, it could be a disconnected coolant sensor or ground.
                        -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

What about Fuel pump. Does it prime when you turn the key into the on position?
                          1988 Mercury Tracer. (aka Ford Laser)

sigpic

"If you do not try you cannot fail, but neither can you succeed.....however....If you dont have any clue what your doing, please, ask for help."

The above quote does not in any way imply that I know everything, but rather that I too need to ask for help sometimes

Comment

No, but it runs when its hardwired

Comment

hmm
                              1988 Mercury Tracer. (aka Ford Laser)

sigpic

"If you do not try you cannot fail, but neither can you succeed.....however....If you dont have any clue what your doing, please, ask for help."

The above quote does not in any way imply that I know everything, but rather that I too need to ask for help sometimes

Comment

fuel pump relay/ ECU went bad or one of the engine position sensors
                                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                                he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
                                X