No announcement yet.

My 2002 KLZE Protege 5, kl to kj swap thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a 98'.... It acts up like that at different rpm range, plus it didn't do it in the millennia so I doubt its a factory rev limiter

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Thing sounds awesome man. Love it!

'88 323 sedan, K-swapped..

'03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege - miss it so much..

'01 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins - 323 hauler

Comment

Sounds like a sensor issue. Maybe a bad ground.
        sigpic
        1992 Familia GT-X
        1988 323 GTX
        2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
        2014 Civic Touring

Comment

This is bad ass! I just bought a yellow 03 p5, this might be a good swap once my fs engine decides to take a dump lol!

Comment

factory rev limiter. when in park you cant rev that high. thats what it sounds like to me
            91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

On a fresh start up, the first rev can go as high as I let it, so I highly doubt it's a factory rev limiter, but I could be wrong

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

check all the grounds, sounds alot like the issues we have in the MS world with bad grounds and voltage flyback
                "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

I'll check the grounds although i'm pretty certain they are ok.... tomorrow i'll put some gas in it, and check out a few things with the wiring and go from there

Oh, i forgot to post these pics i took today in the daylight when i backed the P5 out of the garage lol nothing that hasn't been posted before just better lighting lol

Comment

im not at all familiar with these motors but you could try disconnecting the maf to check if the engine is able to rev up without hitting that limiter while it is disconnected, though you will probably have to give it some gas just to keep it from stalling if there is no maf hooked up. just an idea as they are known to get dirty/damaged. dirty/damaged parts and poor grounds are the best places to start. also check vac and spark plugs/wires. sounds cool!
                    Last edited by vtec-this; 11-13-2011, 11:41 PM.

S197 Mustang GT Convertible The New DD. (Ford Racing 3.73/JLT CAI/SCT SF3 Tuner/Ford Racing Exhaust)
                    2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Maximus Tractionous Wifeymobilious
                    Previous ~ 235whp 1.8 BP Powered 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege ~ - Sold

Comment

Just read through this whole worklog... pretty awesome had a klze in this and even more awesome that you just put a KJ in it! I've always thought that motor was one of the most unique motors mazda has put in a car.
                      My Feedback
                      92 mx-3 gs klze 'race car' IP
                      92 mx-3 gs klze 'daily driver' IP
                      http://www.cardomain.com/id/Mooneggs

Comment

I think they are very unique as well, its why i wanted to work with one lol

Originally posted by vtec-this View Post
                        im not at all familiar with these motors but you could try disconnecting the maf to check if the engine is able to rev up without hitting that limiter while it is disconnected, though you will probably have to give it some gas just to keep it from stalling if there is no maf hooked up. just an idea as they are known to get dirty/damaged. dirty/damaged parts and poor grounds are the best places to start. also check vac and spark plugs/wires. sounds cool!
                        With the MAF not hooked up, it wont even run, i need to check the voltage at the MAF though to make sure it is working properly, otherwise i'm running out of ideas to try but i'm sure i'll come up with something, even if that means megasquirt lol

Comment

looking good. glad to see its together. im sure in due time you will figure it out. btw that engine bay looks soo much better in black.
                          91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

Before you get to involved in diagnosing it just get the car all finished up and ready to drive... Then you can test drive it and see if the limiter is really there or not...

Comment

The only thing left to do is hook up the heater core hoses and fill it up with coolant

I've been thinking that this problem is very similar to how my festiva acted when I first got the kl running with no coolant temp sensor, I'm wandering if the KJ is acting up simply because there is no coolant in it, that's the next thing I'll be looking into

Comment

^^ sounds like the problem to me. K-series don't like to run without coolant in them.
                                2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
                                1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Working...
                                X