No announcement yet.

My 2002 KLZE Protege 5, kl to kj swap thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ya that no coolant could be your issue dude! also I've heard of some KL people having issues if they disconnect the a/c fan (if equipt)
    -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Still haven't touched the P5, i started getting sick on saturday (which is rare for me) and yesterday and today have been a write-off, who knows about tomorrow

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

With the MAF not hooked up, it wont even run
        unless the miller motor is different, it will stall without throttle, but you should be able to get it to run enough with a bit of throttle and see if you can rev it up higher than you currently can just to quickly test if maf is causing that weird limiter. ive gotten home with intercooler couplings pop off my fmic behind the bumper on a maf based system before when i had a fsde. the ecu just dumps fuel but could allow you to diagnose quickly if you have a strangely behaving maf.

but if you have access to any proper testing equipment by all means just test it instead lol the above is more of a side of the road troubleshooting technique.

S197 Mustang GT Convertible The New DD. (Ford Racing 3.73/JLT CAI/SCT SF3 Tuner/Ford Racing Exhaust)
        2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Maximus Tractionous Wifeymobilious
        Previous ~ 235whp 1.8 BP Powered 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege ~ - Sold

Comment

it fits pretty nicely in the P5 bay!!!
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

^^Thanks Ryan, when i was lowering the KJ into the bay, i was getting a bit worried i was gunna have to do some major modifications to the intake to get everything to clear lol i guess i got lucky though lol

Anyway, just another little update, i've been fighting with this cold all week long and still haven't touched the P5, i doubt i'll be able to touch it tomorrow, and saturday morning i'll have to work so with any luck, saturday afternoon i can make some progress again

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

feel better man!!
              -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

So i'm finally feeling well enough to work on the P5 today, i got the heater core hoses on and filled up the rad with anti-freeze etc. and i STILL have that running issue

There are NO vacuum leaks, all grounds are connected, even a few extra grounds for good measure, it idles extrememly good, but just won't rev up except on fresh start up

I am officially confused as to WTF is going on with it, i can only assume the computer gets put into "safe" mode after the first few seconds of running, and i have no idea what the f*** it could be.... does anyone have any ideas?

Comment

Get the car driving and see what happens before you spend to much time on it... It really sounds like a factory limiter...

Comment

Dude, it is NOT a factory rev limiter.... period

Comment

have you tried pulling codes? there can be codes on the ecu even without the CEL lighting
                      "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                      -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                      *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                      172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                      New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

I have not tried pulling codes yet, simply because i'm not sure how too lol

I do have the diagnostics port still on the KJ harness and it looks identical to the KL diagnostic port

Although today i tried checking to see if the CEL was on or not using my voltmeter at the ECU, and as long as i was testing the right wire (which i'm sure i was) then i have NO CEL on right now
                        Last edited by Damkid; 11-20-2011, 01:18 PM.

Comment

ill dig around tonight i "think i have the fsm for the kj, if not i know its covered in my chilton.
                          "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                          -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                          *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                          172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                          New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Thanks bud, I appreciate it

Comment

the diagnostic port would be the exact same. its just a ODB2 port. even one in a kia or a bmw would be the same. there universally the same in all cars that are 96+
                              ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
                              ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
                              What are you driving?

Comment

Oh i beleive you lol i've just never had to get codes off an OBD2 setup before, hence why i'm not sure how to do it lol

Comment

Working...
                                X