My 2002 KLZE Protege 5, kl to kj swap thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

man.. i was getting all excited too...

looks like im going home with a stomach ache..

1992 MX-3 GS - KLZE
    1997 Probe GT

Its not a BP05.... Its a BPOS... BIG PIECE OF ****

Comment

lol Durwood is a smart guy and i have faith that he will get it running properly, i told him last night that he's gotta post videos of it driving, which should help your stomach ache lol

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Well, i looked at it today for 5 minutes. I've never seen a KJ before, what a cluster **** of an engine, lol! I was kinda hoping to see some big obvious vacuum line disconnected or something, ha. I know the car goes into limp mode almost right away, I'm thinking due to the trans computer not being there. The most common problem with these engines from what I've read is the boost control vacuum lines, which send it into limp mode, so I'll look into that secondly. I was thinking of clever ways to make the computer think the trans is there and working correctly, the easiest way may be to get it flashed to disable limp mode. I would just go standalone, but my goal will be to have this car 100% emissions legal for 2013 when they plug into the OBDII port for testing.

Thanks again Chris, you did a nice clean job on the swap.

If anyone has a millennia fsm, please pm me.
        Last edited by DuRWooD; 12-17-2011, 07:42 PM.
        sigpic
        1992 Familia GT-X
        1988 323 GTX
        2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
        2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Thanks Darren, i think there was only one small vacuum line that may not be connected and it runs on the pulley side of the engine and at the top of the engine and points toward the firewall, as for any other vacuum selonoids, every one of them are there from the millenia, I made sure to keep them all on the engine and wired in lol

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

i doubt the trans codes are an issue man. ive been running a atx milly n/a ecu in my mtx car for awhile. it throws the codes, but doesnt effect the engine at all. at least on the n/a one.

here's a thread that will help you if your wanting to fix those trans codes though. most of them have been figured out how to fool to not come on.

~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
            ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
            What are you driving?

Comment

Yeah, it's hard to say. No one knows too much about these engines. I assume you're talking about the KL ECU to run the maf conversion. First order of business will be to hook up the OBDII port and get the codes. Then decide if I need a custom chip burned.
              sigpic
              1992 Familia GT-X
              1988 323 GTX
              2014 Civic Touring

Comment

was reading a book last night that mentioned that some oem ecus cannot properly compute certain parameters and will stay in limp mode without torque converter signal data from the trans ecu. a static signal didnt cut it either, had to be a signal that somewhat accurately depicted what the auto ecu would usually be outputting during various loading on the motor. no idea if this is how the mazda miller ecu operates though as the example was from a lexus auto v6 ecu.
                Last edited by vtec-this; 12-18-2011, 06:59 PM.

S197 Mustang GT Convertible The New DD. (Ford Racing 3.73/JLT CAI/SCT SF3 Tuner/Ford Racing Exhaust)
                2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Maximus Tractionous Wifeymobilious
                Previous ~ 235whp 1.8 BP Powered 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege ~ - Sold

Comment

On YouTube there is a guy with a Milly S and converted it to a 5 spd, and he completely unplugged the auto ECU, so I don't think the issue is caused by the auto ECU not being there

Comment

I saw that guy's vid too, and there's no video of him actually driving the thing that I could find. I'll be tricking the ECU for the trans speed by splicing in the wire from the crank position sensor, it should be happy with that signal. I got all of the Millennia wiring diagrams today, I just don't have any days off to work on it. I might be able to get some time tomorrow, we shall see.

I know for sure the KL millennia's ECU works without the transmission, as the probe guys use it to do their OBDII maf conversions. Whether or not there is an extra layer of safety built into the KJ has yet to be proven.
                    Last edited by DuRWooD; 12-18-2011, 07:38 PM.
                    sigpic
                    1992 Familia GT-X
                    1988 323 GTX
                    2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Ask and you shall receive lol

at the end of the video, he takes the milly out for a test drive

And for anyone else, here's his walkthrough videos of what he did to convert it

part 1

part 2

And for what it's worth, this is the only other guy i have been able to find with a 5 speed KJ

Comment

Awesome, that's a good sign then.
                        sigpic
                        1992 Familia GT-X
                        1988 323 GTX
                        2014 Civic Touring

Comment

i posted the link because there tips to getting rid of the ATX codes when using a mtx trans. figured you might be able to use some of the info.

and im one of those guys running a atx milly ecu in my mtx 626 to run the maf conversion.
                          ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
                          ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
                          What are you driving?

Comment

Thanks for the link man. it is quite good. All of that code clearing is 100% applicable to me.
                            sigpic
                            1992 Familia GT-X
                            1988 323 GTX
                            2014 Civic Touring

Comment

good to hear man. i figured most of it would probably work.

ive yet to even do anything about my own atx codes. im tossing 5 codes after using the atx milly ecu. 4 being atx related, and the 4th is a map sensor issue ive yet to fix yet. but plan to sooner or later.
                              ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
                              What are you driving?

Comment

I tried to get work done on it today, very little got accomplished. I got all of the wires I need to hook up to the OBDII port run, only to realize the original p5 doesn't have any pins in a couple of places I need them for the millennia ecu; different protocols. I also bought am OBDII scanner today that should pick up all the generic and Mazda specific codes, all I need now to read the codes is the millennia OBDII connector.
                                sigpic
                                1992 Familia GT-X
                                1988 323 GTX
                                2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Working...
                                X