No announcement yet.

My 2002 KLZE Protege 5, kl to kj swap thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i stand corrected then rocketman. i wasn't aware they shared engine oil- I can vouch to say the one supercharger i opened had wood "screws" they might have had an AL core. but they were certainly wood
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
      i stand corrected then rocketman. i wasn't aware they shared engine oil- I can vouch to say the one supercharger i opened had wood "screws" they might have had an AL core. but they were certainly wood
      Sharing engine oil was the major downside of these chargers, that and I think the extreme pressure differentials seen at the seals between boost and vacuum.

Durwood's right in that the teflon rotor coating becomes scratched and pitted over time, sometimes closely resembling wood, but wood will not withstand the heat and forces exerted inside a supercharger
      You can kinda see that inside the IHI charger I have here:
      1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
      1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
      www.werbatfik.com

Comment

So today on the way to work there was some hesitation, then a slight fuel smell, then the engine almost died, followed by a STRONG fuel smell. I shut it down and pulled off the road.. Popped the hood to find fuel spraying out of the high pressure line. I backed away for a minute as I was sure it was going to burst into flames. It didn't, and and I was able to patch it there, and drove it to work.

Anyway, my deal on the donor 626 fell through when we agreed on a price, and I realized I never asked which engine it had... 4cyl.

I then found another one, a little further away, and in need of a water pump. This one is a 5 speed though, so I'll have a spare tranny, and the proper ecu. I'll be hopefully picking it up Saturday.

Edit: I'm not giving up on the KJ. I want to put it in a BG eventually, so I can run it on MS. I'll have some time to experiment with KL heads though.
        Last edited by DuRWooD; 02-29-2012, 08:06 PM.
        sigpic
        1992 Familia GT-X
        1988 323 GTX
        2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
        2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Close call there! Just an FYI... the charger won't fit between the KL heads.

Glad you aren't giving up on the KJ altogether.

www.werbatfik.com

Comment

I'm hoping to be able to modify the kl heads to use a kj charger. We'll see, I haven't done any work on it yet. I'd be interested in one of your outlet flanges, as I'd be ditching the stock intake system for the most part.
            sigpic
            1992 Familia GT-X
            1988 323 GTX
            2014 Civic Touring

Comment

How would you modify the KL heads? the intake ports sit too far into the Vee to allow for clearance. Just not enough room. I've sat my charger on top of my buddy's KL, it completely covered all the ports, no way that was going to happen. I took pics but I don't know where they got to.

(IMO)You'd be better off trying to find a way to get KL cams to work in the KJ heads, or having the KJ cams re-ground to KL spec for otto cycle operation.

www.werbatfik.com

Comment

Oh yeah? That's too bad. Reground cams may be the only way, or as you said figuring out how to use kl cams.
                sigpic
                1992 Familia GT-X
                1988 323 GTX
                2014 Civic Touring

Comment

I went and picked up my donor 626 today, a 2002, V6, 5 speed. I was expecting the thing to be a dented rust bucket, as the pictures were blurry, and didn't show the whole thing. There is now a problem, the thing is immaculate! I can't believe I got it for $500! I don't know if I should just drive it.
                  sigpic
                  1992 Familia GT-X
                  1988 323 GTX
                  2014 Civic Touring

Comment

I'll take it off your hands. I'm looking for KLG4 stuff anyway

Haha, that is a dilemma, though :/

Or look at it this way; you now have a reliable daily until you get the KJ running properly.
                    Last edited by irishkev90; 03-02-2012, 10:39 PM.

Comment

damn nice score then lol sounds like you're having another addition to the mazda family haha.
                      -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

626's hold no value......... im not sure why but yea... if its in good shape still it might be good to just drive it
                        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

you would be surprised how much value a KL mtx 626 really holds. a member on PT just bought one and spent over $4000 on it. and it was 100% stock, and older then this one.

my vote is keep it. these things are so insanely hard to find, it would really be a waste to rip a really clean one apart as a donor.
                          ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
                          ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
                          What are you driving?

Comment

KLG4s are quite common in Canada though lol you'd be surprised how many are in the wreckers. I know of one that has around 8 lol
                            -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Found out mine is actually an '01 as it has a sunroof. You couldn't get a sunroof with a mtx in '02.

sigpic
                              1992 Familia GT-X
                              1988 323 GTX
                              2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Upon further investigation, the 626 is in good enough shape to be my new daily. I've decided the Protege will now be turned into an enduro race car, retaining the KJ. This way I don't have worry about emissions, and I still get to have fun with the car. It doesn't smoke badly, except on start up, so I should be able to get a season out of the supercharger.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2 Beta-2
                                sigpic
                                1992 Familia GT-X
                                1988 323 GTX
                                2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Working...
                                X