Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More horsepower fast

Hi guys,
    i'm new in tuning and i have a question, maybe stupid but i need help.

I have a protege 2001 es 2.0L and i have 130 hp. I want to get much more like around 200 hp. Now i ask some guys and some told me to change motor and some others told me to change the chip. I don't know what is the best things to do. So can you help me plz. !!!

I will upgrade my car with a cold air intake, news exhaust, new headers and all those things, but before i don't know what to do between a chip or a motor so....

Help me please
    Thx

Well theres going to be two sides of this. The "fast" way is turbo, there area couple of turbo kits for you engine that will put you a little over 200hp. The other way is n/a Which from what I've heard costs about the same as the turbo. This way entails things I know nothing about. The most popular for your engine is boost though. Either way expect to pay a couple g's for it.
    According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

hey

i am no expert about mazdas, but since i have built 2 different motors using 2 difference ways.

Turbo
      -easy 50% increase on stock bottom end
      -once boosted, every other mod adds more hp
      -the closer you get to 75% increase on stock motor the cmore fragile you engine gets.
      -Once you are boosting, you'll be hooked and will do what everybody want to do, increase boost, it starts by just 1 or 2 psi, then you'll be looking for injectors, then a standalone, then a new motor cause you fried a ring.

N/A
      -you can gain as much as you are willing to put money into it.
      -people call it the safe way, becasue it costs more, you spend more time studying each upgrade to ensure that your investment is safe.

In your case, I would strongly suggest you do the right thing.
      Go to the Library, and get a few books on Forced induction on an N/A engine, also pick up some books on N/A tuning. It'll only cost you $40-$50, and might save your car, and your wallet.

Start slowly, intake exhaust
      then look for a local shop for P&P the head and the intake manifold, you'll feel great gains in every day driving.

also be careful about where on the rpm range you gain power, how is 5hp extra useful if it is at the redline? you'll very rarely see that gain.

I always tell people that build daily drivers to concentrate on torque and power gains in the 2K to 5K rpm range.

anyway, enjoy the learning process, it is the most important. Oh and you'll learn from your mistakes, so it is not so bad if you make a few.

Good luck, hope I could clear it up a bit for you.

Q

Comment

Yes thanks,
        but if i start like you said slowly with exhaust and intake and after that i decide to change the engine the exhaust and the intake will not be good anymore or it still could me good ??? i don't want to wast money lol. ...

Comment

the only easy, and semi cheap way of getting power from the 2.0 is turbo charging it, talk to greg on here, he has a turbo mp-3, same engine.
          .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
          225.94wtq
          torque monster!!!!
          dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
          http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
          http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Originally posted by Astyl
            People that try too build up 4 bangers with the N/A Route, are wasting there time
            i agree n/a on a budget is teh suck.

186.08whp
            225.94wtq
            torque monster!!!!

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

N/a on a 4 banger in general is teh suck
              yeah really, you put like inatake, exhaust, some other worthless ****, and gain 3.7 hp, im like yeah man 450 bucks for 3.7 hp, lol

186.08whp
              225.94wtq
              torque monster!!!!

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

N/A is only useful on large displacement engines... IE V8's... Superchargers are generally only useful on V6's and up... Looks like the 4's are stuck with there turbo's
                You make it sound like a turbo is a bad thing......Last time I checked, Turbo Eclipses can pull low 12's on the stock turbo and still be daily driven. Also, if n/a is only useful on large displacement engines, why are there n/a hondas that pull 10-11's? As far as superchargers for the v-6's, how is that the grand national from buick was a 3.8 V-6 turbo and is considered to be one of the top production cars from the 80's and still ranks up there with some of todays cars while the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP uses the same 3.8 but with a supercharger and doesn't have as strong a impact as the grand national?
                1991 Mazda 323 GTR Sedan
                MODS:
                GTR motor swap, F&R Familia strut bars, MX-3 Rear Lower strut tie bar, GTX front bumper, GTX grill, EDM headlights & corners, EDM 323 rear garnish, EDM spoiler, EGT sideskirts, MX-3 seats, GTX steering wheel, EGT glass sunroof, WRX hood scoop (functional!!), and other things that take too much space to list.....
                TO DO LIST:
                EDM/JDM rear bumper
                EDM/JDM power folding mirrors
                Repaint car

Comment

Originally posted by BoostedPro
                  You make it sound like a turbo is a bad thing......Last time I checked, Turbo Eclipses can pull low 12's on the stock turbo and still be daily driven. Also, if n/a is only useful on large displacement engines, why are there n/a hondas that pull 10-11's? As far as superchargers for the v-6's, how is that the grand national from buick was a 3.8 V-6 turbo and is considered to be one of the top production cars from the 80's and still ranks up there with some of todays cars while the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP uses the same 3.8 but with a supercharger and doesn't have as strong a impact as the grand national?

Oh snap!
                  Attached Files

Comment

lol

Comment

I know it's a stupid question but i'm lost guys.

What N/A means ????

Comment

Originally posted by Astroman182
                        I know it's a stupid question but i'm lost guys.

What N/A means ????
                        haha finally a question i can answer
                        n/a = naturally aspirated i.e. no boost

Comment

Turbo.

Comment

yes there are 10 sec na hondas but they aren't daily driveable. Running on race gas because of their insanely high cr? Not very practical. I'm sure they idle real well too on the way to the grocery store
                            Dan
                            dreesemonkey

Comment

it all depends on what you plan on doing with your car.... drag racing the only to things that matter are traction and power since all your doing is going in a straight line. autox/roadracing i would go N/A cuz its gay when you want power and your off the boost.

Comment

Working...
                              X