Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is a good time to change the timing belt/chain???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When is a good time to change the timing belt/chain???

yeah i just bought a 2001 es 2.0 and all the maintence i have no clue as for like the timing belt, o2 sensor, clutch and other items like that. although my passenger side motor mount is already taking a crap on me so i have to change that soon before i get more problems from the other ones. so yeah any help i would greatly apprecitate it thanks

If you've got the owner's manual, it will have a complete chart of recommended maintenance intervals.
    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

my car didnt come with one so that is why im asking... thanks though

Comment

Usually every 60,000 miles.
        If you don't know wether or not its been changed and you've got 60,000 + then I would change it as a precautionary measure.
        The clutch and O2 sensor you change when they "go".
        The clutch will eventually wear out.O2 sensors shouldn't wear out or whatever, but they seem to have a life expectancy of ~ 100,000 miles or so.
        On my second gen it went around 160,000 KM give or take. and other second genners seem to have had to replace it around the same time, but its one of those things where it works or doesn't. THey won't gradually fail the way a cluch or brake pads will wear over time.
        Ryan The middle child is always ignored
        BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
        Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

According to the '02 FSM, under normal driving conditions in the USA:
          Inspect at 60,000 miles (96,000 km).
          Replace every 105,000 miles (168,000 km).

The same intervals apply to cars operated in Canada, Puerto Rico or in the USA under Unique driving conditions (as defined in the FSM).

Finally, for vehicles operated in cold districts below 0 deg F (-18 deg C):
          Replace the timing belt every 60,000 miles (96,000 km).

Happy Motoring!
          02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
          MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
          MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
          Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
          MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
          Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
          Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
          Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
          Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
          Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
          Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
          Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
          Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Timing belt image

Timing Belt Imp Info

Comment

Working...
            X