Losing power...a LOT of power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Losing power...a LOT of power

So, when I bought my 2003 Protege LX about a year and a half ago, it was all I had hoped for, and more. When I stepped on the gas, the car took off, and it was quite a bit quicker than I had imagined a car with 130 horsepower to be. However, its 33,000 miles have apparently not been kind to the car. It takes at least twenty seconds to accelerate to 60, and I have to let the engine rev to almost 5k before shifting in order to accelerate with the rest of the traffic. Anyone have any idea what's goin' on with my car?
    2003 Protege LX 5-speed

How does it idle? is it an ATX or MTX? What color is it? when was the last time you changed your oil, air, and FUEL filters? Does it smell funny when accerating or when you come to a stand still? Have you gained an enormous amount of weight?
    I must have answers to ALL of these questions to give you my opinion.
    Tony
    Intense Performance
    Mazda Club
    of South Florida

www.ipmcsfl.com
    www.responsenegative.com
    www.cystband.com

I'm happy because Dima speeds, which makes him happy. He seems to be happy only when speeding, which makes me happy. And when I'm happy people around me are able to live another day. If you are alive right now, you should thank Dima.

Comment

Hey thanks!
      It's an MTX...it's black (although I don't really know why you need to know that, LOL) I changed the oil about two weeks ago (1,000 miles ago) air filter was changed less than six months ago and still looks good. Fuel filter? Good question...I'm going on 34,000 miles on the same one. Could that be a problem? No, it doesn't smell funny at all when I'm taking off or standing still. I've gained about twenty pounds since I bought the car, and I've noticed that the car is still way slow even when I'm the only one in the car.
      Need anything else? Just let me know :-)
      2003 Protege LX 5-speed

Comment

Fuel filter. It is the most reasonable place to start, being that it needs to be changed anyways. The other questions were for fun.
        Tony
        Intense Performance
        Mazda Club
        of South Florida

www.ipmcsfl.com
        www.responsenegative.com
        www.cystband.com

I'm happy because Dima speeds, which makes him happy. He seems to be happy only when speeding, which makes me happy. And when I'm happy people around me are able to live another day. If you are alive right now, you should thank Dima.

Comment

Originally posted by tviera
          Have you gained an enormous amount of weight?
          ha ha
          2002 LX:
          sony amp with FR 15" sub
          white gauges
          pioneer deck

cooming this summer:
          18" enkei rims
          pirelli PZero Nero M&S
          MagnaFlow Exhaust
          7" LCD monitor deck
          carbonfiber dash kit
          cold air intake