This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mazda96Protege,

I'm sorry I can't help you out here as I've had no experience with 2nd gens. I don't know why you're getting the symptoms you report. It can't hurt to reset the PCM but I don't know if that will solve the problem. Perhaps a 2nd gen owner will come on here and help you with your problem.

02 DX Millenium Red
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Thanks alot goldstar........its not doing it so much today so it seems to be doing much better, and yeh i have noticed it revs faster and also like it goes alot faster aswell so thank you for posting this tip on here.

Comment

most pointless "mod" ever! did both those to mods and noticed nothing. you want your engine to really breath better have your head ported and polished, new intake cam, short ram with ducting..... non of this nig riggin, grill cuting bs.

Comment

your the first person in 140 posts to not like this mod........

Comment

well i win then dont i? lol

Comment

I'm a new member to the forum. I have 2000 ES....gotta love these cars. Haven't made any mods yet but looking to try the grill support cut-out. I noticed there hasn't been any recent posts on that particular subject. As far as you know, is it still worth doing? If so, I'm looking forward to the improvement.

Comment

ks2527,
                Welcome to the Forum. IMO, the mod is still very much worth doing. I'm still running with my mod exactly as I described in this thread. I still feel a performance benefit, there have been absolutely no water ingestion or air filter element problems and the duct tape used to seal the intake to the air box is still functioning perfectly. Most, but not all (see the winner directly above), people who have tried this mod report that it was beneficial so it's likely that you would also experience an improvement. However, if it disappoints you, at least you haven't wasted any money.

Good luck with the mod should you choose to try it.
                Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

Great news. That car is running top notch as it is. Going to try it today and will post tomorrow. I drive 44 miles one way to work w/ plenty of chances to "test".
                  Thanks again.

Comment

[B]WOW! Very impressed! I made the cut-outs last night. Definitely noticed the difference. I plan to tape the holes to give that a try as well. Thanks for all the great info.

Comment

ks2527,
                      Glad it worked out and that you feel the mod was beneficial.

Comment

I noticed a bit of a gain. THen I removed my grill entirely and noticed more of a gain.

Now I get a cool wistleing sound under acceleration. Next up is taping off the wholes and possibly running a scoop like thing like what bonsi came up with.

Comment

Thanks for the post, I'll do the mod this weekend. I just traded my D17 Civic for a Mazda Tribute for my wife, and I took her '02 Protege LX. I think I made a good decision. The Mazda is way quicker than the Honda was, and it is paid for so I can make some changes.
                          I can't wait to see the look on her face.

Prime- out.

Comment

zerocover...
                            What exactly did you remove when you "removed" the grill. You talking about the whole diamond shaped on the exterior---Or the screen part under the hood.

goldstar...
                            your opinion on that?

Comment

The first time around I did the cut out.
                              Recently however

I pulled the whole thing out and replaced it with some mesh. Not for preformance reasons just becuase it seems to fit the car alot better then the chrome thing.

Comment

ks2527,
                                I left the diamond-shaped vertical grill in place because I like the way it looks, I didn't want to change the stock appearance of the car and it probably serves as some measure of protection in preventing larger objects that might hit the front of the car from damaging the radiator. As to whether its removal would increase air flow into the intake even more and provide an additional performance gain, I couldn't say as I've not tried it. You might want to experiment with it as zerocover found an additional increase after its removal.

My mod involved only removing the horizontal support piece that prevents air entering the grill from flowing upward to the snorkel air inlet.

It seems quite clear, from an inspection of the references listed in this thread, that ANY restriction anywhere in the air induction system will result in an increase in negative pressure with a consequent loss of power. With that in mind, as stated earlier in this thread, I also recommend removal of the MAF sensor screen as a way of decreasing negative pressure, whether or not you remove the vertical grill. Since the subject has come up again, I can report that I've been running for at least two years now without the screen with absolutely no negative effects. I have since come to believe that the function of the screen is not a protective one but is designed to smooth or straighten air flow (reduce turbulence) into the MAF sensor to improve metering accuracy. An inspection of the OEM air box design indicates that after the air flow leaves the outlet side of the filter, it must make a fairly sharp turn to reach the MAF. This is likely to promote tubulent flow and the screen may function to mitigate some of this effect. Now, I have no idea what negative effect increased turbulence at this point might have, but I can report that my car pulls strongly and smoothly with no hesitation at all throughout the rev range all the way up to maximum and cruises smoothly at any speed.

Should you decide to remove the screen, be very careful that you don't damage the MAF sensor. Don't touch anything within the sensor itself. Its replacement cost is prohibitive! The screen is a light friction fit and is easily removed either by pulling it away from the sensor body or utilising a light tap on a wooden, or plastic, dowel to push it out. Note that the screen is directional and retain it for future possible use.

Comment

Working...
                                X