This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome wanabemsp.

I'm glad you liked the mod and you're quite welcome.

I just took a look at my assembly and, although I don't know for sure, it looks like the supports at each end of the panel above the grill would be sufficient to keep everything in place. Try it and see what happens over time - you could always replace it later if necessary. My guess is it will probably be all right, though.

Happy Motoring!
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Thanks alot!

Comment

so as i stated earlier i messed up and cut the middle supports to the grill, but went on and cut it all out with only the support in the end and the grill is still on nice and firm. Let me say that if you have a protege with a stock air intake your car is begging for this mod it breathes so much better. I noticed significant throttle response and also does not choke/hesitate after 5000 rpms like it used to (thank god i hated that), much smoother powerband now pulls throughout low and top rpms. Id like to proceed to step 2 and 3 but can anyone show pics? that would be great.

Comment

No pics (other than the screen itself) but step 2, removal of the MAF sensor screen is explained in detail in post #2.

Happy Motoring!
          02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
          MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
          MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
          Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
          MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
          Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
          Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
          Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
          Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
          Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
          Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
          Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
          Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Popped out my screen today

Comment

Originally posted by Sleezer1533 View Post
              Popped out my screen today

VERY COOL! Many thanks!
              Got Zoom?

2000 Protege ES

Comment

+1!

Comment

Just completed this mod (removed top part of grill) and noticed a subtle difference in acceleration and noise above say 3500 revs, but i find the biggest difference i have noticed is that the engine runs smoother. The stock grill must have been choking the engine quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Drive323 View Post
                    Just completed this mod (removed top part of grill) and noticed a subtle difference in acceleration and noise above say 3500 revs, but i find the biggest difference i have noticed is that the engine runs smoother. The stock grill must have been choking the engine quite a bit.

Everytime I want to do mine it's too damn hot out I'll have to get up early in the morning & get it.. I can't wait to try it out.
                    Got Zoom?

2000 Protege ES

Comment

do it man its worth the time! i just did step #2 and i can feel a more aggresive response in throttle. Ready to move on to step #3 and also thinking about going to the track just to see how i do before the season ends.

Comment

Originally posted by wanabemsp View Post
                        do it man its worth the time! i just did step #2 and i can feel a more aggresive response in throttle. Ready to move on to step #3 and also thinking about going to the track just to see how i do before the season ends.
                        I've done the cutting of the tray & thats it so far & re-set the ECU they did add some performance to the engine.
                        Got Zoom?

2000 Protege ES

Comment

IS there another way to pop the screen out? The bolts are Striped
                          Got Zoom?

2000 Protege ES

Comment

Bolts? I just used a hammer and a screwdriver to pop it out ... gently of course

Comment

Originally posted by Sleezer1533 View Post
                              Bolts? I just used a hammer and a screwdriver to pop it out ... gently of course

Many thanks! I thought just cutting the plastic tray out was nice but this really adds to the mod. The engine revs MUCH cleaner & faster towards the redline, one thing should I reset the ECU again?

Got Zoom?

2000 Protege ES

Comment

Couldnt hurt I guess, I didnt. But then again ... maybe I should lol

Comment

Working...
                                X