X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sleezer1533 View Post
    Couldnt hurt I guess, I didnt. But then again ... maybe I should lol
    At this point I don't see it making any real difference I did it once not sure that it would add or take away anything.. With that said I do love this mod even sitting when I rev the engine the RPMS climb so much faster. I can't say I really notice a noise difference just the typical growl as the RPMS climb.
    Got Zoom?

2000 Protege ES

Comment

So resetting the ECU, simple as disconnecting the battery for a few second? or more complicated than that?

Comment

So resetting the ECU, simple as disconnecting the battery for a few second? or more complicated than that?
        Yeah just disconect the battery for like 3-5 mins I believe. Reconnect it run the piss out of your car for a bit...Like I said I did it before so I don't see the point in doing it again.
        Got Zoom?

2000 Protege ES

Comment

Yea, I mean it couldnt hurt, if the air flow is changed at all it makes sense that you want the ECU to change accordingly

Comment

Yea, I mean it couldnt hurt, if the air flow is changed at all it makes sense that you want the ECU to change accordingly
            Yeah I might do it in the morning just for the hell of it wont hurt nothing.
            Got Zoom?

2000 Protege ES

Comment

Originally posted by norwood1026 View Post
              I can't say I really notice a noise difference just the typical growl as the RPMS climb.
              Awhile back I inquired about the bottle-like part of the snorkle setup that hangs down next to the radiator just before the airbox. Goldstar kindly replied with the following...

Originally posted by goldstar View Post
              The FSM refers to it as a resonance chamber. In fact, it's a Helmholtz resonator. Some claim, including some members of this Forum, that it functions to enhance and maintain low speed torque, and since you're going back to the OEM system, you should leave it in place. According to this view, removing it will give a decrease in performance at the low end. However, Helmholtz resonators that affect low speed torque (cylinder filling at low rpms) are usually located between the air box and the TB. Those devices located before the air box, as in our case, usually are there to perform a silencing function for the intake air and have nothing to do with restoring low speed torque. This is the position taken by Julian Edgar and I refer you to his commentary on the subject in AutoSpeed, titled "Those funny things tee'd into intakes...". You can access it at:
              http://blog.autospeed.com/2003/11/30...d-into-intakes
              After reading the article he referenced I got curious and decided to see what would happen if I removed it. To me it does seem to have a deeper than normal growl...me likey! Sounds pretty mean even compared to my previous aftermarket setup.

I've been meaning to post my results for awhile, I've been holding off till I have a chance to take pics of each modified piece, but since the topic of sound came up I decided to go ahead n share what I've got. I've had it all installed for alittle over a month and removing the resonator has had 0 negative effect on low end torque (as far as I can tell) The increase in sound volume is fairly minimal, but worth it for the little amount of work. The resonator is attached to the tube that comes down from the snorkle and just snaps on/off. Once removed you will have a big ol hole there, so u will have to find something to plug it. I happend to find in my husband toolbox full of random pieces that went who-knows-where on who-knows-what vehicle, a drain plug from the floor of one of his Eclipse shells. It fit perfectly in the hole and the notched edge holds it snug in place. If u dont happen to have one of those handy...get creative... I will try to post pics soon!

By the way Goldstar, I haven't gotten around to painting my intake pink yet...Im sure u've been dying to know how that turns out
              sigpic
              Mod List:
              *KYB GR2 Struts
              *Modified stock intake
              *K&N Performance air filter
              *Stainless Header
              *Custom Interior- hot pink / black carbon fiber wrap
              *Urethane Filled Mounts (1 done so far)
              *Alpine 600W Amp / Audiobahn 12" Sub

Comment

I've done the cutting of the tray & thats it so far & re-set the ECU they did add some performance to the engine.
                Many thanks! I thought just cutting the plastic tray out was nice but this really adds to the mod. The engine revs MUCH cleaner & faster towards the redline, one thing should I reset the ECU again?
                Couldnt hurt I guess, I didnt. But then again ... maybe I should lol
                At this point I don't see it making any real difference I did it once not sure that it would add or take away anything.. With that said I do love this mod even sitting when I rev the engine the RPMS climb so much faster. I can't say I really notice a noise difference just the typical growl as the RPMS climb.
                Yeah just disconect the battery for like 3-5 mins I believe. Reconnect it run the piss out of your car for a bit...Like I said I did it before so I don't see the point in doing it again.
                Yeah I might do it in the morning just for the hell of it wont hurt nothing.
                I probably should have mentioned this earlier but I never reset the PCM after completing any of the above-mentioned mods. After a modification is performed, some individuals disconnect the battery for the purpose of allowing the PCM to acquire the parameters needed for the new mod. This actually just deletes the long term fuel trim values which forces the PCM to "relearn" the previously stored LTFT values in addition to learning the required values for the new mod. After 2 or 3 driving cycles, the PCM adjusts to the new mod on its own. Attempting to reset it yourself only lengthens the adjustment period, but does no harm. Keep in mind that the full effect of the new mod can't be experienced until the PCM adjustment process is complete.

This is just a brief overview rather than a systematic, detailed description of the process and I have pigeon to thank, who unfortunately is no longer a member of our Forum, for his well-thought out, detailed analysis making me aware of the manner in which this system operates. Any comprehensive analysis of this topic should properly be placed in the Technical Discussion forum.

Happy Motoring!
                Last edited by goldstar; 08-11-2010, 11:15 PM.
                02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Originally posted by zoomzoom chick View Post
                  Awhile back I inquired about the bottle-like part of the snorkle setup that hangs down next to the radiator just before the airbox. Goldstar kindly replied with the following...

After reading the article he referenced I got curious and decided to see what would happen if I removed it. To me it does seem to have a deeper than normal growl...me likey! Sounds pretty mean even compared to my previous aftermarket setup.

I've been meaning to post my results for awhile, I've been holding off till I have a chance to take pics of each modified piece, but since the topic of sound came up I decided to go ahead n share what I've got. I've had it all installed for alittle over a month and removing the resonator has had 0 negative effect on low end torque (as far as I can tell) The increase in sound volume is fairly minimal, but worth it for the little amount of work. The resonator is attached to the tube that comes down from the snorkle and just snaps on/off. Once removed you will have a big ol hole there, so u will have to find something to plug it. I happend to find in my husband toolbox full of random pieces that went who-knows-where on who-knows-what vehicle, a drain plug from the floor of one of his Eclipse shells. It fit perfectly in the hole and the notched edge holds it snug in place. If u dont happen to have one of those handy...get creative... I will try to post pics soon!

By the way Goldstar, I haven't gotten around to painting my intake pink yet...Im sure u've been dying to know how that turns out
                  Please post pics when your able I tend to do better with visuals...
                  Got Zoom?

2000 Protege ES

Comment

Pink intake, thats a new one for me, post up some pics when its done!

Comment

Originally posted by zoomzoom chick View Post
                      Awhile back I inquired about the bottle-like part of the snorkle setup that hangs down next to the radiator just before the airbox. After reading the article he referenced I got curious and decided to see what would happen if I removed it. To me it does seem to have a deeper than normal growl...me likey! Sounds pretty mean even compared to my previous aftermarket setup.

zoomzoom chick, thank you very much for your description of the removal proceedure and your conclusions. You've provided interesting and important data for this thread. Apparently Edgar was correct in his contention that Helmholtz resonators located before the air box function to silence the intake air and not to restore or enhance low speed torque. So as you've demonstrated, while there is some small increase in intake air noise, removal of the Helmholtz resonator should not have a negative effect on performance.

And yes, I have been dying to see that pink intake. It strikes me that the only thing worse than just getting passed by a girl is getting passed by a girl with a pink intake duct.

Happy Motoring!
                      Last edited by goldstar; 08-12-2010, 08:41 AM.
                      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

Maybe it's just me but today I got my car on the interstate & it did seem to run smoother then before the third & final mod. Anyone else notice this or am I nuts?
                        Got Zoom?

2000 Protege ES

Comment

I've noticed smoother running also and you're not nuts. The technical reason is due to the fact that the mods described here result in a reduction of fluid friction in the intake system. The resultant reduction in pumping losses is responsible for the increased operational smoothness. For a more detailed explanation, see post #203.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

I did sort of a noob test with the screen I held it in one hand & place my other hand on the side of the screen. I blew a steady stream of air though it then I would blow without the screen in between my hand. I know there is no scientific way to do something like this. However I was highly impressed by just how much air the little screen did indeed block.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to explain this mod.

Got Zoom?

2000 Protege ES

Comment

Pink intake, thats a new one for me, post up some pics when its done!
                              Please post pics when your able I tend to do better with visuals...
                              Gotta get some new paint guns first but as soon as I get it painted pics will definatly be posted Im off Sunday so I'll take it apart real quick n get yall some visuals.

zoomzoom chick, thank you very much for your description of the removal proceedure and your conclusions. You've provided interesting and important data for this thread. Apparently Edgar was correct in his contention that Helmholtz resonators located before the air box function to silence the intake air and not to restore or enhance low speed torque. So as you've demonstrated, while there is some small increase in intake air noise, removal of the Helmholtz resonator should not have a negative effect on performance.!
                              No problem! Im glad my little experiment had positive results and even more glad to have provided some food for thought. I forgot to mention in that last post that I also got a K&N air filter which Im sure helps too.

And yes, I have been dying to see that pink intake. It strikes me that the only thing worse than just getting passed by a girl is getting passed by a girl with a pink intake duct.
                              Awww ok, I'll try not to leave too much dust
                              sigpic
                              Mod List:
                              *KYB GR2 Struts
                              *Modified stock intake
                              *K&N Performance air filter
                              *Stainless Header
                              *Custom Interior- hot pink / black carbon fiber wrap
                              *Urethane Filled Mounts (1 done so far)
                              *Alpine 600W Amp / Audiobahn 12" Sub

Comment

Hi Everyone,

I just completed this mod (one and two) and I have to admit that I do notice a difference i n the way the car preforms, esp getting on the freeway :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X