stroking (my motor...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stroking (my motor...)

o.k., my 2000 protege has the 1.8L engine, and ive recently discovered that the larger 2.0L motors that was available in 2001+ is really nothing but a stroked 1.8L, so my question is: what the hell is stroking? i have a basic idea what it is (by basic i mean thati know it involves increasing the motors displacment), what i want to know is, how do you stroke a motor, what parts are involved, and who can do this? any info would be appreciated, thanks.
    -curtis
    What good is money if it can't inspire terror in your fellow man?

Thanks for making clear just what it is you're stroking.

An engines stroke is determined by the distance from the crank throw centerline to the centerline of the crank. A longer stroke engine has a longer crank throw and thus a greater center-to-center distance. Since the piston travel between TDC and BDC is increased, so therefore is the swept volume of the engine. Since the swept volume of the engine is increased, an increase in displacement results.

The first step in stroking an engine is to replace the crank with one with longer throws. This usually requires shorter con rods or pistons to prevent intrusion into the combustion chamber and/or valve contact. In some instances, the stock crank is modified by depositing metal on the big end bearing surfaces and re-machining them to increase the effective throw.

A proficient engine rebuilder can do this job, including yourself if you know what you're doing.

Happy Motoring!
    Last edited by goldstar; 03-10-2006, 07:04 AM.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

wouldnt it be just as easy to buy a 2.0 guts? crank pistons rods and bearings instead of changing your stock crank?

"Real Ricer's Build There Own Cars"

Comment

Working...
      X