No announcement yet.

Took off my Injen Intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

for gods sake Clint , that is a sweet and clean engine bay, I never really looked at your bay before, but dude... you get madz propz yo

on another note. I don't blame you for taking the intake off. I would just go back to the plastic , but cut a bigger hole in the bottom and force feed air in and call it a day.

You should not get the hesitation anymore like that .

btw: has anyone looked into the possibility and the cost of converting a 3rd gen from auto to stick.
    Bruce
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

its a bitch man, real bitch, you need lots of time, and patience, just think you need to put in a clutch pedal, tranny, run the clutch cable, actual clutch, its alot of work, i did one in my buddies mustang, holy god.
      .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
      225.94wtq
      torque monster!!!!
      dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
      http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
      http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Go to your local bike shop, and ask for a used inner tube, something not too thick. maybe 1/8" thick, regular tube.

Make a cutout with paper of the shape of the thing that the MAF sits on, the entire thing. Trace the paper onto the bike tube, and cut out the seal you're making.

After that, clean your MAF, and put it back on with a nice new seal.

To ensure proper sealing, take a spray bottle with water, and while the car is running.. spray JUST A LITTLE BIT around where the seal is.. avoid spraying the harness to the MAF. Make sure no water is being sucked in, or dissapearring misteriously after you spray the seal. If it is dissapearing, you're sucking air in there still, and that's the problem.

After I did this, no more hesitation, at all.

Also, make sure you clean your damned air filter every 3000 miles atleast. this will bring the hesitation back. dirty filters are no good! ;D Long post, but i promise, it helps. if it doesnt, there's something else wrong. Maybe a bad MAF, which should still be under warranty. Just don't take the car in there with the injen on.
        -mike lucero
        1988 Mazda 323 GTX
        2001 Isuzu Rodeo

Comment

damn, i've done all that, and i still get hesitation, just not as much. and unfortunately mazda won't replace the MAF unless the CEL is on, and i've got 85K miles, so it's well beyond the extended MAF warranty

Comment

try the water bottle thing bro... i bet you're still pulling air in from somewhere. do the same with the throttle body rubber hose. might be a leak from there.
            -mike lucero
            1988 Mazda 323 GTX
            2001 Isuzu Rodeo

Comment

Bruce, thanks...the engine bay is fairly clean for being almost 4 years old..have a few spots on the strut towers that are kinda dirty but I'll get around to that later. The main thing I wanna work on is color coordination. I've got the yellow MP3 bar, blue spark plug wires, red injen intake sleeves, yellow generic sleeve, and sparkly red fuse box lid...LOL.

Mike, cool tips..I will be sure and try that next time I get the Injen back on the car. Hopefully it will cure the hesitation.
              Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Originally posted by THEGOLDPRO
                its a bitch man, real bitch, you need lots of time, and patience, just think you need to put in a clutch pedal, tranny, run the clutch cable, actual clutch, its alot of work, i did one in my buddies mustang, holy god.
                We have a hydraulic clutch, too :D
                2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

still hesitation

hey blue LEDz,

i have a custom shortram like ur talking about sitting in the corner of the engine compartment and it still hesitates so i wouldnt cut up ur injen just yet...

Comment

Re: still hesitation

Originally posted by dafoo21
                    hey blue LEDz,

i have a custom shortram like ur talking about sitting in the corner of the engine compartment and it still hesitates so i wouldnt cut up ur injen just yet...
                    mine is cut off... looks just like clints, except i did mine a lot longer before him ;D man, i'm tellin you, there's a solution there somewhere. just gotta find the problem. it's probably something real simple too.
                    -mike lucero
                    1988 Mazda 323 GTX
                    2001 Isuzu Rodeo

Comment

Reset the ECU

You need to reset the ECU after you install an aftermarket intake. otherwise, it will feel jerky like you say.

Unplug the battery and press the brakes to discharge the ECU more quickly. wait 1-2 h to be sure, plug it back. During the first 10-20 km, the ECU will readjust itself for the new air it can get.

*If you have no money to tune-up, stick with the dye-cut brand names stickers...you'll swear you got that elusive 20 HP..for 10$ :D*

Comment

Re: test

Originally posted by Caretaker
                        test
                        not to be an ass....but

We have a seperate test forum for stuff like this. Posts like this take away from the discussion at hand, so please in the future try not to do things like this.

Thanks
                        "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                        -93 MR2, 129 ES
                        ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                        Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Re: Reset the ECU

Originally posted by Caretaker
                          You need to reset the ECU after you install an aftermarket intake. otherwise, it will feel jerky like you say.

Unplug the battery and press the brakes to discharge the ECU more quickly. wait 1-2 h to be sure, plug it back. During the first 10-20 km, the ECU will readjust itself for the new air it can get.
                          here's the complete relearn proceedure:

COMPUTER RELEARN PROCEDURES
                          1999 Mazda Protege
                          GENERAL INFORMATION
                          Computer Relearn Procedures
                          All Models
                          * PLEASE READ THIS FIRST *
                          The following general procedures are to be used if
                          driveability problems are encountered after power loss or battery has
                          been disconnected. These procedures may provide an aid in eliminating
                          these problems.
                          To reduce the possibility of complaints, after any service
                          which requires battery power to be disconnected, vehicle should be
                          road tested.
                          COMPUTER RELEARN PROCEDURES
                          Vehicles equipped with engine or transmission computers may
                          require a relearn procedure after vehicle battery is disconnected.
                          Many vehicle computers memorize and store vehicle operation patterns
                          for optimum driveability and performance. When vehicle battery is
                          disconnected, this memory is lost. The computer will use default data
                          until new data from each key start is stored. As computer memorizes
                          vehicle operation for each new key start, driveability is restored.
                          Vehicle computers may memorize vehicles operation patterns for 40 of
                          more key starts.
                          Customers often complain of driveability problems during
                          relearn stage because vehicle acts differently then before being
                          serviced. Depending on type and make of vehicle and how it is
                          equipped, the following complaints (driveability problems) may exist:
                          * Harsh Or Poor Shift Quality
                          * Rough Or Unstable Idle
                          * Hesitation Or Stumble
                          * Rich Or Lean Running
                          * Poor Fuel Mileage
                          These symptoms and complaints should disappear after a number
                          of drive cycles have been memorized. To reduce the possibility of
                          complaints, after any service which requires battery power to be
                          disconnected, vehicle should be road tested. If a specific relearn
                          procedure is not available, the following procedure may be used:
                          Automatic Transmission
                          * Set parking brake, start engine in "P" or "N" position.
                          Warm-up vehicle to normal operating temperature or until
                          cooling fan cycles.
                          * Allow vehicle to idle for one minute in "N" position. Select
                          "D" and allow engine to idle for one minute.
                          * Accelerate at normal throttle position (20-50%) until vehicle
                          shifts into top gear.
                          * Cruise at light to medium throttle.
                          * Decelerate to a stop, allowing vehicle to downshift, and use
                          brakes normally.
                          * Process may be repeated as necessary.
                          Manual Transmission
                          * Place transmission in Neutral position.
                          * Ensure emergency brake has been set and all accessories
                          are turned off.
                          * Start engine and bring to normal operating temperature.
                          * Allow vehicle to idle in Neutral for one minute.
                          * Initial relearn is complete: process will be completed during
                          normal driving.
                          Some manufacturers identify a specific relearn procedure
                          which will help establish suitable driveability during relearn stage.
                          These procedures are especially important if vehicle is equipped with
                          and electronically controlled automatic transmission or transaxle.
                          Always complete procedure before returning vehicle to customer.

Comment

yeh I cut my injen too (1.6L Auto) and its not so bad. It hesitates ever so slightly at around 70 MPH on the throttle.

I did the bicycle tube seal too. I have yet to test it with a spray bottly though, must do that some time.

But I have been getting quite a few CELs lately. (code 0171 system too lean - Bank1).

as for cleaning the filter every 3000 miles that seems like alot.
                            I was cleaning it ever 6 months or so.

overall I am pleased. Just wish I could get rid of that little bit of hesitation.
                            2000 Silver Protege LX 1.6L
                            Injen CAI
                            16" Quantem Tek Type S15 (silver)
                            215/40ZR Falken GRB
                            Mesh front grill
                            Custom 2.25" stainless exhaust magnaflow muffler/4" tip
                            Eibach Pro kit springs/KYB struts

Comment

Working...
                            X