No announcement yet.

first oil change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would feel safe switching between synthetics and going from synthetic to regular. I don't see why the engine couldn't take it.

Comment

****, I drive to much!! I got mine in March and have 27k miles on it. But when you live in Waco, and work in Austin for six months(100 miles one way) I guess that will do it.
      I use Amsoil 5w30, it's worth the extra cash. I am poor myself, 2 kids and a wife! But with the change scheduled(per Amsoil) at 20K miles, you can afford it.
      Jeremy
      2003 Yellow P5 - Stock or is it??

Comment

Originally posted by Proto2k
        Good choice on using the synthetic. That is all I use. May I also recommend running premium gas all the time as well.
        I ran premium, and all that happened was my car started pinging like crazy. Our Protege's don't have knock sensors so there's no point running higher octane fuel. All that will happen is you'll have tons of carbon deposits in your engine from all the unburnt fuel and that means pinging sooner or later.

Also, thread is moved to the Engine/Drivetrain section.
        Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Originally posted by NegatiZE
          I ran premium, and all that happened was my car started pinging like crazy. Our Protege's don't have knock sensors so there's no point running higher octane fuel. All that will happen is you'll have tons of carbon deposits in your engine from all the unburnt fuel and that means pinging sooner or later.
          I've also heard running premium in our cars can actually hurt performance and engine life. The cars were designed to run on 87 octane fuel as far as I know, and premiuem fuel would simply be a waste of money.

Comment

but don't you need premium if you're running a turbo???

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
            RB springs
            Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
            MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by Lil Freek
              but don't you need premium if you're running a turbo???
              For turbo you only use premium to prevent detonation because it's so much hotter in the cylinders.

Comment

I was referring to Proto2K and myself, but you are correct, the 2.0 has a knock sensor whereas the 1.6 and 1.8 do not.
                Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

I'm sorry but what I am going to say is gonna sound kinda stupid but are we suppose to run high octane fuel then if we have a 2.0L engine since it has a knock sensor or what because I got kinda confused back there.

Comment

You still won't need it. The FS-DE is not a high compression engine, nor does it have a turbo. You'll just be wasting money.
                    Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

The MP3 owner's manual actually said 91 is preferred. Because of the advanced ignition timing. The MSP says the same thing. All others 87 is fine.

And, I believe the BS flag was in reference to switching between dyno based and synthetic based oils. You can switch back and forth as often as you like without flushing the motor.

You can use what ever oil you like, switch brands everytime. The majority of the detergents and such either burn off by the time you should change your oil, or are in the oil filter anyway.

I have never heard that once you go synthtetic, you can never go back.
                      "Hey look at me, I'm stupid as hell and can't even breath properly, little alone read!" - Master Shake
                      2001 Mazda Protege MP3, with Flyin' Protege Turbo Kit

www.triplezoom.com

Comment

Originally posted by StuttersC

I have never heard that once you go synthtetic, you can never go back.
                        I guess that falls under opinion then. I just know every mechanic i've spoken with in my area has said that. and especially to stay with the same brand synthetic. they may be wrong though???

Comment

this is not gonna be bad for your engine, 3500miles is not consider "break in" and you should run regular oil until the motor's ring land, piston ring and all the seal is probably seated and break in.

Comment

what would be considered break in then? i was always under the assumption that 2000-2500 was a break in, and i was a little late about changing the oil after 3000 miles (its out of habit i guess)

2003 Sunlight Silver ES 5 Speed
                            www.cardomain.com/id/bigwoo23

There seems to be an epidemic in MI, everyone seems to think that painting your car isn't cool anymore, and people drive around with more primer than paint. What is the world coming to?

Comment

Working...
                            X