kicking during gear shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kicking during gear shift

I bought a 99 protege LX last september. I ran smooth for a while, but recently, it has built annoying kick during gear shift. When I go from park to 1st, and 2st to 3rd, my car shakes. It tends to be better at higher speed or when the engine is warmed up and idles at low rpm. Local repairman suspected lack of trans fluid and changed it, yet it didn't solve the prob. Currently, there is no practical problem with running car, but the kick is so annoying and I feel that it is gonna ruin the car. I hope that I do not have to replace tranny. Does anyone have idea?

I presume ur car is an auto. are your rpm's high? thats normally the reason for the kick.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by whistler View Post
      I presume ur car is an auto. are your rpm's high? thats normally the reason for the kick.

Hope this helps!
      Yes, it is an auto. And I think high rpm is the problem, too.
      I had a dirty egr before. When I brought the car to another local repairer, he somehow turned the light off temporalily. He said he 'tuned it' to turn the light off. Is this possible reason for high rpm?

Comment

The dirty egr is one of the problems for the high idle, and that can kick the engine when changing gears. He probably turned up the rpm to put the idle off.

You can use the idling screw to reduce the idle and then work your way from there. Probably replace/clean the egr, etc.

Comment

I cleaned the egr.
          When I start the engine, it idles around 1800 rpm. If the engine is warmed up, around 1000 or lower. And it kicks anyway during the first gear shift. So I am confused..
          Anyway, where is the idling screw? How much turn will be appropriate? Thanks.

Comment

Its on the throttle body by the right lower side. I dont have any pics on me.

Comment

Change your transmission fluid again as well as the filter. A lot of people don't do this regularly and it causes the transmission to jump when it shifts. Since you can only drain half the fluid at a time you may need to change it again. If the filter wasn't changed, change it this time. I wouldn't recommend adjusting the idle with the screw. I think you can get the idle to reset by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, but I'd have to check on that. The service manual cautions not to adjust the screw.

Comment

Have you been beating the piss out of it?
                Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
                kitty, you are a hilarious woman
                Originally posted by HopelessCow
                there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
                Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Does it feel like the engine is shaking? It could be motor mounts.

Comment

Working...
                  X