No announcement yet.

broken shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah quality post, i guess i cant get worked up over someone misreading my first post and not bothering to read my second, but anyways i said i wasnt slamming gears in my badass 103 hp protege. i have a 300 hp malibu to do that in, but anyway i went to the dealer yesterday and they said this has happened a couple of time and it has nothing to do with driving hard...they said that the lower shaft breaks away from the bushing and the top part of the shifter just "falls" off..Said its not a recall because of course its not a very common occurence. Guy sounded like rain man though so maybe its just my luck?Guess my signature kinda pissed him off heh?
    According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

I don't shift hard so I don't see this happening to me but I do see how it could happen. The shifter seems to have a spot were it thins out. Now that I got a real good look at it, the spot being weaker is a good possiblity. I just don't know why Mazda just didn't make the shifter the same thickness throughout the shaft.
      It almost seems like they did it so people wouldn't hacksaw the thing to a comfortable length like my buddy did with his Accord.
      " Autobots are an error I intend to correct"

Reformated Alternate Mode:
      Midnite Blue P5 ( 5-speed manual)
      Painted calipers
      Injen CAI
      Custom exhaust
      Tein lowering springs(finally installed)

Comment

tech at mazda says its for ease of shift...if you put that big part of the shifter in a vice or something you can still move the top part of the shifter. bad design but yeah where it thins out right there under that bushing is hollow.
        According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

hey,, i was just gonna leave my shifter like it is and say screw a kartboy but i just read somewhere that it will screw up my syncos...is this true and if so how long you think i have to get an aftermarket shifter.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

The way it is now should not effect your synchros at all. Short shifters are potentially more dangerous to your synchros because it shortens the throw that you're doing, but still has to move the shift linkage the same distance to change gears. I'm not sure why it's potentially bad, but it just is
            Dan
            dreesemonkey

Comment

Working...
            X