2002 protege engines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2002 protege engines?

i have a 2002 protege and want to make faster, around 200hp if possible, i see BP turbo motors from tiger japanese and they bost 207hp for $1500, with 25-35 thousand miles,and a 5spd tranny, are these reliable motors?
    or would it be better to go with the Z5 engine?
    Last edited by craig5000; 10-20-2008, 02:53 PM.

Yes the z5 engine would be the best.
    Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
    kitty, you are a hilarious woman
    Originally posted by HopelessCow
    there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
    Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

i say toss a 2.5 KL v6 in there. about the same amount of work.
      ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
      ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
      What are you driving?

Comment

i have trouble finding a z5 motor for my year, usually 2nd gen protege's, and the z5 only has 160 or 170 rite?
        i would love the torque of a kl, my buddy has one in his mx6, but that requires tons of engine mount work

Comment

yeah, those pesky z5 engines are tough to come by.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by craig5000 View Post
            i have trouble finding a z5 motor for my year, usually 2nd gen protege's, and the z5 only has 160 or 170 rite?
            i would love the torque of a kl, my buddy has one in his mx6, but that requires tons of engine mount work
            KL bolts in.
            -Dave

Comment

Man you guys luv fkn with noobs lol. Don't listen to them about the z5 motor. Its a 70-80hp motor. Comes stock in a 2nd gen protege. Your best bet would be to locate a mazdaspeed motor. Its a turbocharged 2.0. Won't hit 200hp right away but upgrades will do that for you. The bp isn't a drop in afair in a 3rd gen. Contact mazkid. He's dropping a kl into his p5 so he'll know what's needed. The way he's talking its not as hard as you might think.
              1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
              1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
              2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
              2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
              .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

actualy the zm is a pimp ass motor that will be better than the fails-de
                Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
                kitty, you are a hilarious woman
                Originally posted by HopelessCow
                there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
                Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

huh...i was told the KL has like 7 engine mounts and my 4 cyclinder def. doesn't lol...so is $1000 a fair assumtion for a KL instal?
                  that turbo BP motor from japan they must be lieing about the 207 hp then...are those engines harder to intal than the KL? the turbo setup can't be too bad or is it lol

another noob question, i have rust on the front of my 02 protege sedan hood, and i want to kno if the front bumper and hood from a protege 5 will mount up??...i am confident that the hood does but im not sure bout the bumper
                  Last edited by craig5000; 10-23-2008, 04:33 PM. Reason: add another question

Comment

Originally posted by Turpro View Post
                    Man you guys luv fkn with noobs lol. Don't listen to them about the z5 motor. Its a 70-80hp motor. Comes stock in a 2nd gen protege. Your best bet would be to locate a mazdaspeed motor. Its a turbocharged 2.0. Won't hit 200hp right away but upgrades will do that for you. The bp isn't a drop in afair in a 3rd gen. Contact mazkid. He's dropping a kl into his p5 so he'll know what's needed. The way he's talking its not as hard as you might think.
                    Stock the z5 actually has [B]92[B] horses. Don't underestimate the hamsters under the hood.
                    sigpic

Comment

don't waste money on a mazdaspeed 2.0 motor it is the same motor as the one you have now just has a turbo charger.i would just tried to build a kit for your motor, i am in the process of making a td04 subaru turbo work with a manifold i found for it. 200hp isn't far away if you get the right stuff.after all the other stuff i have done to hit 200whp on 10 psi, but i will not be running 10 right away i will only be running 7 psi till i can get ahold of a ecm that will take care of the timing map.
                      Last edited by mazdaman2002; 10-24-2008, 07:39 AM.
                      2002 protege ES/ header/2.5" exhaust/ CAI/ mazda speed cams(FROM JDM protege)/tein lowering springs/AWR 95 durameter motor mounts/B&M short shifter/ revised mazdaspeed limited slip differential/ exedy clutch/ fidenza light weight flywheel/ tokico struts/awr adjustable sway bar endlinks/stock wheels painted black W:riken raptor tires.

Comment

yea i would love a turbo motor, but i can get a KLZE for 750 from JDM and my buddy has a tranny i can have, i would just like to kno how much work a installation would be???
                        naturally aspirated would be easier to hide from insurance and popo's

Comment

The JDM 1.8L BP-t only puts out around 170 hp. Your best bet is to add a turbo to your 2.0L FS-DE , JDM cams , turbo back exhaust , FMIC kit , CAI , some sort of fuel/timing management and a single runner intake should get you in the neighborhood of what your looking for.

Dropping a KL in a 3rd Gen will require some rewiring and will be a tight fit.
                          c+p>c<c+d1>c+p<m+d2>m<m+f>f<c+p>m<m+f>f<f+s1>c+p<c +s2>c<c+p>

2002 Mazda Protégé 5 , 5-speed , poly engine mounts , 4 to 1 header , JIC-Magic semi titanium cat back , custom CAI , Tokiko hp struts , Vogtland springs , Mazdaspeed sway-bar kit , Megan racing TTL's , Megan Racing trailing arms , pedders control arm bushings , corksport clutch line and shifter bushings , Tiger Tuning rear panel with V brace , Black sedan headlights with 6000k H.I.D.'s , M3 mirrors , Audio by Alpine , Kicker and just getting started.

Comment

how hard is it to go from a 1.6L to a 1.8L? i mean i know its not a big difference, but lets just say if i had to buy a new engine for my 2000 protege.? can i just get the 1.8L or 2.0? i have a tranny for a 2002 protege i believe its for the 2.0L engine. and i can easily get the whole wireing and ecu for it.. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                            X