Mazda Protege 1999 Starting troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mazda Protege 1999 Starting troubles

I have been having problems with my protege during start-up in that sometimes when I turn the key the engine will not start... there is power to the dashboard but no clicking sound or engine turn over.

The funny part is what I have been doing to start is shifting my steering column with the key in the ignition. The last few months (winter) it seems a little harder to start. Any suggestions? Sometimes just resetting the key will start it as well but the majority of the time I insert key, turn ignition, and drop/raise steering column to start engine.

Thanks.

Ian

The movement of the steering column is probably just a coincidence. You probably have a weak battery. Take it to an auto parts store and have them do a battery check to see if you're putting out proper amps. Check your water in your battery and make sure your cables are clean.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I have cleaned the battery terminals on several occasions and the battery is less than two years old. I'll give it another shot this week and let you know.

Comment

standard or auto trans?