Transmission OD light flashing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission OD light flashing

I have a 99 ES automatic that intermittently the OD light flashes and then the transmission is stuck in 3rd gear, also check engine light comes on when this happens. After shutting off and restarting will shift normally. Has anyone else experienced this and what did you do to fix it, thanks.

You have a trouble code thats being set.... You need to figure out what the trouble code is.. Because of the trouble code it sets the car into whats called "limp mode" its a fail safe mode that sets 3rd gear only so that you can limp the car to a service shop to have it fixed.. DO NOT! drive the car long distance in 3rd only you will burn the transmission up... There isn't much else that can be fixed untill you know what code is being set... When it does go into limp mode you might be able to get 1st or 2nd gear by manualy sellecting the gears with the shifter from there you can manually shift the trans.. this will help you to nurse the car into get it fixed..

Comment

Originally posted by dstydrvr View Post
      I have a 99 ES automatic that intermittently the OD light flashes and then the transmission is stuck in 3rd gear, also check engine light comes on when this happens. After shutting off and restarting will shift normally. Has anyone else experienced this and what did you do to fix it, thanks.
      When you say that it is "Stuck" in 3rd, that means that it shifts normaly 1,2,3 and no O/D, or are you sauing that you have to do this really ****ty takeoff in 3rd?
      This is my BP. There are many like it but this one is mine. My BP is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my BP is useless. Without my BP I am useless. I must drive my BP true. I must drive straighter than my enemy, who is trying to beat me. I must beat him before he beats me.

Comment

I'm saying it's is in 3rd gear from a stop when taking off.

Comment

mine did that once.. but like you said.. i just turnd off the car.. fired it back up and it was workin normal again.. so i didnt bother on taking it to a shop... lol

Comment

Mine was doing the same thing. My code was for the turbine shaft speed sensor in the transaxle. It was a simple fix for me. Just replaced the sensor and it went away. Mine was coming on and off every couple of weeks. But as time went by it kept coming back on more frequent. Have someone scan the OBDII system for codes. I believe mine was a P0715. My fix cost was about $55.00 from mazda-parts.com

Comment

Get the code and start from there,Its got a fault which may be
              simple and inexpensive right now but could get costly if you
              let it go too long.