Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bad squeal coming from engine..Belts..tensioners??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad squeal coming from engine..Belts..tensioners??

hello guys my girlfriend has a problem with her car. theres a really bad squeal from the belts or something under the hood when the car is turned on and its even worse when the heat or ac is on. the belts have been tightened and we have thought about spraying the **** outta them with belt dressinig does anyone have an idea of what the culprit may be? thanks!!
    03 CC LB Nissan Frontier, bunch of mods
    99 Mazda Protege (Girlfriends) bone stock

well maybe the belt is too tight? try spraying it see how that works.. how old is the belt, what condition does it look to be in

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
      well maybe the belt is too tight? try spraying it see how that works.. how old is the belt, what condition does it look to be in
      hmm being that it didit before the belts were tightened i dont think thats the case. the belts seem to be in good condition. but i need to change belts on my frontier so i should prolly just do hers too

Comment

The belts that are supposed to go on it run a bit long and after a few months they will stretch to the point that adjusting them no longer tightens the belt. Pick up a tension tester to see if they are tight enough. I found that the NAPA brand were the only ones I didn't have to replace after about 4-6 months.

Comment

i had a squeal also, and people told me it was the belts, but it wasn't, it was the water pump, so maybe that little guy could be the culprit

Comment

WOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            thanks i will replace it and see if its stops!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dtatham View Post
              The belts that are supposed to go on it run a bit long and after a few months they will stretch to the point that adjusting them no longer tightens the belt. Pick up a tension tester to see if they are tight enough. I found that the NAPA brand were the only ones I didn't have to replace after about 4-6 months.
              nawh the belts are plenty tight its gotta be the WP

Comment

Originally posted by TheOregonFront View Post
                WOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                thanks i will replace it and see if its stops!!!!
                hope youre ready to take out the timing belt to change the waterpump
                I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
                |.....Overnight....................| ||
                |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
                |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
                "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
                Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Originally posted by wheresthericego View Post
                  hope youre ready to take out the timing belt to change the waterpump
                  hmmm thats a bitch i assume? i guess the frontiers are too. and who was that you qouted in your sig. thats some funny stuff right there i literally LOL'd

Comment

np lol and yea good luck dude, and check the pulley system too

Comment

Check the seep holes on the water pump. You generally start loosing coolant, with a need to add once a week or so, before you get any squealing. If you aren't loosing coolant, you need to do some more checking. It could be a tensioner pully on your timing belt. If that's the case, don't drive it until it's fixed.

Comment

I have to change my belts every year when it starts getting cold out because of the squealing. Tightening or lubing them does not fix the problem. I have changed all of the accessories out withing the past 18 months. It's just something I have gotten used to.
                        miss my '93 LX at every corner
                        photo album
                        Catch me on Facebook

Comment

squealing belts

I generally get at least a couple years out of the belts that I get from Napa. Then again, I live in Florida and it doesn't get very cold. I never got more than 8 months for belts I bought anywhere else. They stretch to the point where there isn't any more room to tighten them in a few months, in fact they are almost tightened to the limit of the bolts when first installed.

Comment

this happened to my Protege a couple of years ago. I tried everything and finally found an old pro in Oklahoma City. He had me turn the car on, turn all the accessories on to max out the alternator. From a spray bottle, he sprayed the alt belt, and poof, noise gone. I had tightened that belt about two weeks before, but obviously not enough. Check your alternator belt again.

Comment

i will check the belts and spray them again sometime this week. so what mileage does the water pump/timing belt etc need to be done guys?

Comment

Working...
                              X