Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good brands for exhaust

Hi everybody!

Well I've been thinking about modding the exhaust in my 03 Mazdaspeed Protege for that extra oomph and thought I'd get your opinion. I was looking at the cat back exhaust and down pipe from corksport until I saw a Turbo back setup by Vibrant Performance. This setup is only $701 and comes with muffler, pipes, high flow cat and down pipe. Now, time and time again, I've learned that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is and this sounds too good to be true... So anybody heard of Vibrant Performance? Is it any good? Oh, while I'm at it, (probably a dumb question) but is the Corksport brand any good?

thanks in advance guys!

oh and here are the links for everything!

(Turbo back exhaust) http://www.sparktecmotorsports.com/vibrant-1788.html

(Cat back) http://www.corksport.com/corksport-p...e-exhaust.html

(Down Pipe) http://www.corksport.com/corksport-p...e-exhaust.html

Btw, definite noob question here but does this site have a search utility? If so where is it cuz I didn't really find it.

Just look in the Forum's address bar. It has a Search button.

Happy Motoring!
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Ah, thanks, now I can be less of a noob lol!

Comment

the vibrant performance exhaust is not a TRUE turbo back exhuast. It is still a great exhaust. On the speed protege, the S and J pipes make the downpipe and the vibrant exhaust does not include the S pipe. So if you get the vibrant exhaust, you will still have a slight restriction due to the stock S pipe and the vibrant is not 3" all the way through. Now, the Corksport exhaust is a 2.4" exhaust but is still plenty enough to make decent power with. I think it is well worth it to get the corksport exhaust and downpipe to make a full turbo back exhaust. I have the Corksport catless exhaust on my car and love how it sounds. I will be getting their downpipe soon along with intake and exhaust cams. I also have their front mount intercooler on my car as well. Corksport is a very great company and they are one of the very few companies that still have aftermarket support for the Mazdaspeed Protege. If you really want a 3" exhaust, I would look into finding a used GHL exhaust. That is a true turbo back exhaust and is good quality but very expensive. They are not made anymore so buying it used is the only option. You could always go the custom route and have an exhaust shop make you an exhaust as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiced MSP View Post
          the vibrant performance exhaust is not a TRUE turbo back exhuast. It is still a great exhaust. On the speed protege, the S and J pipes make the downpipe and the vibrant exhaust does not include the S pipe. So if you get the vibrant exhaust, you will still have a slight restriction due to the stock S pipe and the vibrant is not 3" all the way through. Now, the Corksport exhaust is a 2.4" exhaust but is still plenty enough to make decent power with. I think it is well worth it to get the corksport exhaust and downpipe to make a full turbo back exhaust. I have the Corksport catless exhaust on my car and love how it sounds. I will be getting their downpipe soon along with intake and exhaust cams. I also have their front mount intercooler on my car as well. Corksport is a very great company and they are one of the very few companies that still have aftermarket support for the Mazdaspeed Protege. If you really want a 3" exhaust, I would look into finding a used GHL exhaust. That is a true turbo back exhaust and is good quality but very expensive. They are not made anymore so buying it used is the only option. You could always go the custom route and have an exhaust shop make you an exhaust as well.
          Yeah I figured it sounded too good to be true...
          I've actually been leaning more and more toward the Corksport Exhaust myself too since I love the way it looks and I've heard nothing but good things about the company too. What is GHL anyway? I've never heard of those guys before... Also, anybody know how much custom exhausts cost? ( a ballpark estimate would be awesome!)

Comment

Originally posted by njintau_fsd View Post
            Yeah I figured it sounded too good to be true...
            I've actually been leaning more and more toward the Corksport Exhaust myself too since I love the way it looks and I've heard nothing but good things about the company too. What is GHL anyway? I've never heard of those guys before... Also, anybody know how much custom exhausts cost? ( a ballpark estimate would be awesome!)
            here is a link to the GHL products:

full turbo back exhaust: http://www.streetunit.com/product_p/mzsptb3.htm

downpipe/midpipe: http://www.streetunit.com/GHL_Full_S...p/mzspdpc3.htm

downpipe: http://www.streetunit.com/GHL_Stainl..._p/mzspsp3.htm

Those products may still be offered through streetunit, but I highly doubt it. Most of the time you have to find them used.

I don't know if you are familiar with the our small group of vendor support but here are a few other vendors other than Corksport.

SpeedCircuit focuses on automotive performance and tuning of turbocharged imports. Founded in 2006, SpeedCircuit has been dedicated to perfecting the science of speed.

All four are good companies. They have a pretty good selection of parts to choose from and they all have an outstanding reputation in the mazda community. If you ever plan on rebuilding your motor with forged internals, crossover auto or speed circuit are the places to go. Street unit is cool but protege garage gets their motors through speed circuit. If you ever have any questions, let me know or find me on www.mazdas247.com. What are your power goals? Since you are starting to mod your ride, I strongly suggest aftermarket motor mounts and either a welded or aftermarket LSD if you don't have them already. Trust me, you will be glad you did. Any questions regarding the speed protege, let me know. Ill be happy to help.
            Last edited by Spiced MSP; 03-27-2010, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiced MSP View Post
              here is a link to the GHL products:

full turbo back exhaust: http://www.streetunit.com/product_p/mzsptb3.htm

downpipe/midpipe: http://www.streetunit.com/GHL_Full_S...p/mzspdpc3.htm

downpipe: http://www.streetunit.com/GHL_Stainl..._p/mzspsp3.htm

Those products may still be offered through streetunit, but I highly doubt it. Most of the time you have to find them used.

I don't know if you are familiar with the our small group of vendor support but here are a few other vendors other than Corksport.

SpeedCircuit focuses on automotive performance and tuning of turbocharged imports. Founded in 2006, SpeedCircuit has been dedicated to perfecting the science of speed.

All four are good companies. They have a pretty good selection of parts to choose from and they all have an outstanding reputation in the mazda community. If you ever plan on rebuilding your motor with forged internals, crossover auto or speed circuit are the places to go. Street unit is cool but protege garage gets their motors through speed circuit. If you ever have any questions, let me know or find me on www.mazdas247.com. What are your power goals? Since you are starting to mod your ride, I strongly suggest aftermarket motor mounts and either a welded or aftermarket LSD if you don't have them already. Trust me, you will be glad you did. Any questions regarding the speed protege, let me know. Ill be happy to help.
              Cool thanks for the info man! I really appreciate it!

Well its just my DD so right now I'm just wanna get more oomph out of it. I am thinking about turning it into weekend racer. HP wise, I guess I can start at 50Hp increase, then we'll see. I'm more interested in having something that handles real well over power, take corners real well and all that. Well right now, I have no money cuz I just graduated college so the real modding will prolly happen when I do lol.

Thanks again man

Comment

Working...
              X