Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

looking to buy a protege / p5 . . . . . and add diesel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking to buy a protege / p5 . . . . . and add diesel?

I miss having a mazda for a daily driver and i love the 3rd gen mazda proteges and protege5's. however I want a car with low millage and great gas milage. I know the proteges are ok but I really want something a little better. I keep hearing that the mazdas over in europe and japan and austrailia with engines that are still fun to drive but get great gas milage with their diesel engines. I did a little research to very little avail, i found out that there is a diesel engine the The RF-TDI (2.0l 101hp turboed Diesel engine) which I think will fit in the protege and p5. However I can find very little info on it. Like where could i find one, how good is it really and what are the specs on it? Are there other engine options? If I go with one of these european / etc. engines can i still locate parts for them to fix if needed or even change the oil? I promise I did some research but I need some help.
    In the Garage
    Black 93 MX-3 GS
    Bp powered
    GTR Drive Train

The ProjectMx build thread
    MyCardomain[/SIZE]

"Shut up, at least the bunnies are on fire!"

if you have any kind of emissions checks you won't pass, its also some sort of EPA law too, that you can only swap a diesel into a vehicle if it was standard equipment in the vehicle its going into in the US.

I would say email some jap importers.
    2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
    1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

well in MI we have no emisions testing so i'm good as far as that goes. I may be an environmentalist but the EPA is a complete joke, only that would have an issue with swapping engines that getter better gas millage lol bunch of complete morons. so how about some more info? so far i can't find a single jap engine import website that offers that or any mazda diesel engine.
      In the Garage
      Black 93 MX-3 GS
      Bp powered
      GTR Drive Train

MyCardomain[/SIZE]

Comment

you keep saying gas mileage... too funny. You'll never burn a drop of gas with that setup.
        2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
        1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Tim, check the FAQ or go ahead and see if Edwin will answer your questions.
          1997 Protegé ES: The Power of BP

Broke Status FTW!

Comment

sigh nerd, sorry fuel milage for the benefit of your lack of understanding I will try to not post after working 11.5 hour shifts.

henchman thanks, also uhm which FAQ?
            In the Garage
            Black 93 MX-3 GS
            Bp powered
            GTR Drive Train

MyCardomain[/SIZE]

Comment

[QUOTE=which FAQ?[/QUOTE]

TheMAN's (Edwin's) FAQ: http://www.protegefaq.net

Happy Motoring!
              02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
              MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
              MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
              Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
              MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
              Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
              Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
              Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
              Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
              Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
              Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
              Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
              Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Driving Techniques to Maximize Fuel Consumption

Happy Motoring!
                02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Working...
                X